AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Don't know much about Romy G AK parts kits, but was wondering if there is anything I need to be looking for specfically? Are there some years (serial numbers) that should be avoided? No one sells them locally, so I'm stuck with online purchasing and taking the seller's word regarding bore condition etc. Any help would be appreciated. I'm lookin' to buy and ready to go! Thanks

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
yeah a memeber did a write up on here iirc about the differnce between the 70's and 80's G kits, basically its just cosmetic ie tool marks and what not

·
Banned
778 Posts
I would not (and did not) get into building at this point. As many others have said, it has gotten too expensive. You'd be better off either to buy a built gun (as I did with the proceeds from the kits I sold), or perhaps even having kits built, but that is iffy.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Personally I like the early kits...60 and 70's stuff. Better quality and more personality. Some argue the later "G" kits suffered in quality..ie..canted gas blocks or FSB and overall machine quality/craftsmenship.

·
Registered
213 Posts
brownstown said:
Personally I like the early kits...60 and 70's stuff. Better quality and more personality. Some argue the later "G" kits suffered in quality..ie..canted gas blocks or FSB and overall machine quality/craftsmenship.[/quot

+1 I think after 1980 they quit marking all the parts like the wood with the SN.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BlenderWizard said:
I would not (and did not) get into building at this point. As many others have said, it has gotten too expensive. You'd be better off either to buy a built gun (as I did with the proceeds from the kits I sold), or perhaps even having kits built, but that is iffy.
No worries mate, I'm sending my kit to Jim Fuller at Rifledynmics :mrgreen: !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brownstown said:
Personally I like the early kits...60 and 70's stuff. Better quality and more personality. Some argue the later "G" kits suffered in quality..ie..canted gas blocks or FSB and overall machine quality/craftsmenship.
I went with a 1980 kit because that was the year I was born. Adds a little sentimental value to the rifle.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
johann said:
brownstown said:
I went with a 1980 kit because that was the year I was born. Adds a little sentimental value to the rifle.
Man I feel old know...LOL..

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
johann said:
brownstown said:
I was looking for a 1984 one for that reason :neutral:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
kits

Damn! Talk about making ME feel old. '84? How about '48? I'd have to get a TYPE 1 to get one made in the year I was born. :lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just finished building a 1986 kit and it does have a slightly canted front sight to the left. On the positive side, the bore is excellent and overall shows little wear so it looks like it was rarely fired.

·
Registered
261 Posts
you cant beat the value of a romy kit,any year. look at the gorgeous,damn near unfired kits that are out there!! just get a mint one, and you wont have any problems. I like my 86(darker,heavier tool marks) just as much as my 79( lighter, smooth finish)

It all depends on what type of build you want. get the earlier kit if you want an original mint looking wood stock build. the mid to late 80's look cool if you are going for a synthetic stock/combat rig,IMO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The thing now is,,,,not the cost of building(compared to brand new) But the idea of having a "Paperless AK" (if built from a flat).Who knows what the coming election will bring? The grand daddy of all ban's? They can have what they know about.But not what is stashed LOL.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Groundshaker said:
The thing now is,,,,not the cost of building(compared to brand new) But the idea of having a "Paperless AK" (if built from a flat).Who knows what the coming election will bring? The grand daddy of all ban's? They can have what they know about.But not what is stashed LOL.

sounds like another plus for building your own, not to mention the ultimate satsifaction of being at the range and watching everyones jaw drop when you tell them "YOU" built this rifle from a piece of sheetmetal(and its totally legal)plus a kit vs telling them you paid someone to do the work for you. either way though you now have a real AKM,not some cheap junk import.

theres nothing like the pride and satisfaction of having built your own AKM !!!

·
Banned
778 Posts
Groundshaker said:
A "paperless AK" won't be of any use if they come to see you for all the other guns you purchased at the shop. Also, an individual sale is, basically, paperless.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Groundshaker said:
This is not the forum on which to discuss illegal acts. Trust me. I did so long ago, and the mods made it VERY clear and VERY public that this board is only for the discussion of legal activities. Paperless AKs have no legal purpose regardless of how we feel after seeing the inability of the government to protect its citizens after Katrina. Take that sort of thing over to AK Files where it's not condemned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts