AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has built a complete rifle from a Romy G parts kit and which receiver did you use? Any pros or cons to your receiver of choice? Did you go with conventional AK stock or a folder of some sort? I'm trying to decide on using the Kalashnikov USA receiver I already have for this build or switching to another receiver. I am more concerned with it just being a functional rifle than to make it aesthetically correct with the appropriate Romanian markings. I already have other complete rifles so I just this one to just work.

·
Registered
727 Posts
lol , im in the same dilemma , i wasnt worried about historically correct at first , now im thinking i may be leaning that way , im going to go with a NoDak Spud 2EZ fixed stock

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My first build was a Romy G and I built it on a Nodak receiver IIRC. This was over a decade ago, so I'm not even sure Nodak is making AK receivers anymore. Several guys were building from flats back then too. If I had the time and tools I'd love to do a flat build. There's a YT vid of a guy making one out of a shovel. Great watch.

EDIT: Just looked, Nodak is still showing NDS-1 receivers for sale.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My first AK build was a Romy G on a flat I bent. If I were to rebuild it, I'd go with a Recreator Blanks 80%er. I used the original rear trunnion so I could use the buttstock. If I got bored, I would just unscrew it and swap in a push button folding stock. Best of both worlds using the same rear trunnion.

·
Registered
727 Posts
My first build was a Romy G and I built it on a Nodak receiver IIRC. This was over a decade ago, so I'm not even sure Nodak is making AK receivers anymore. Several guys were building from flats back then too. If I had the time and tools I'd love to do a flat build. There's a YT vid of a guy making one out of a shovel. Great watch.

EDIT: Just looked, Nodak is still showing NDS-1 receivers for sale.
ive been n and off their site for a couple weeks trying to decide , from what i see they have all receivers

·
Registered
142 Posts
My Romy G was built it on a Nodak receiver and it turned out great. If I did it again I would use a Childers receiver as they have some great options

·
Registered
727 Posts
My Romy G was built it on a Nodak receiver and it turned out great. If I did it again I would use a Childers receiver as they have some great options
NDS has upped their game , they offer allot of extras standard now , and they also offer selector markings as childers does

·
Registered
25 Posts
Who has built a complete rifle from a Romy G parts kit and which receiver did you use? Any pros or cons to your receiver of choice? Did you go with conventional AK stock or a folder of some sort? I'm trying to decide on using the Kalashnikov USA receiver I already have for this build or switching to another receiver. I am more concerned with it just being a functional rifle than to make it aesthetically correct with the appropriate Romanian markings. I already have other complete rifles so I just this one to just work.
You cannot go wrong with Recreator Blanks!
theyre definitely the best in my opinion

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Just did one on a recreator. Just blued the receiver to match. One of my all time favorite rifles already

Reactions: Sunspot

·
Registered
25 Posts
Funny I was just bluing one myself! It’s taking forever to get it dark enough to match the top cover but it’s getting there
5EFA4322-34C2-4FD4-AB34-3FEC2ACDECFD.jpeg

·
Registered
270 Posts
Another vote for NoDak. They were really the only game in town when I was heavy into AKs, at least as I remember. I just received the Childers receiver I ordered awhile back, looks excellent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another vote for NoDak. They were really the only game in town when I was heavy into AKs, at least as I remember. I just received the Childers receiver I ordered awhile back, looks excellent.
I think nodak was the first ones I’ve used Childers too and they’re definitely good to go.
I prefer Recreator, their attention to detail is really pretty awesome. And they ship pretty fast.

·
Registered
168 Posts
why use Harlan's rust prone receivers when Childers and Recreator is out there?

Nodak used to be the best because no one else could pump out the volume he did with the quality he did. But with the rust in the rails and center support rivet fiasco a few years back he's pretty much killed his AK receiver business and sells 99% to builders like Century. Hell, I had his rusting recievers in a brand new 2020 build....TWO of them to be precise. walked away and won't ever go back.

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
I had a few unbuilt NoDak Spud receivers that started showing signs of rust when the dehumidifier in my room went out. I had all of the receivers finished, so that stopped the rust. All that remains are scars on a few, but most look just fine. If I was to buy another NoDak Spud receiver, I'd certainly have it finished right away. That said, I stopped buying them because they will no longer serialize the receivers to match the kits serial number.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've got a few NoDak receivers that I bought years ago when they were selling the EZ for $55 I think. I pulled them out the other day and they have a little surface rust in places, but they've been sitting in my basement for 15 years. I figure I'll clean them up and finish when I build them. Not too concerned about it. Some of my 80% Polish shells are doing it too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 6 Romy G's with OG barrels. Only 2 are built but built on NoDak receivers. I still have 4 NoDak receivers sitting but ordered Recreator 80% "G" receivers for the rest. After seeing these, no way I am building the rest of my Romy's on the NoDak. The Recreators are a work of art compared to my NDS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts