AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from ten days in the Stuttgart area and dropped by a shooting sports store in Sindelfingen.

To my surprise there was an AK-47 on the rack. I have never seen an "assault" rifle for sale in Germany before. I asked the owner if I could take a few pics, and he let me...

7ca5ccec-767f-4db0-9ce1-5aec8d8bb20f_zps87740bd1.jpg IMG_6408_zps9d286290.jpg IMG_6411_zpsba0952ec.jpg IMG_6407_zps82f0f8c0.jpg

It was a Romanian/Cugir-built WS1-63, a model I have never heard of before. My German is somewhat limited, but if I understood the owner correctly there is no special paperwork required to buy one. At first I thought the ten-round magazine was fixed/welded on, but it turned out to be just tight and he told me 30-round magazines are available. Price was €579 including taxes, around $810 which isn't that much more expensive than what some places are asking here in the States!

I inquired about ammo and he pulled a box off the shelves. It was 50 rounds and cost €25.50, about $35 or 70¢/round so a bit more costly than what we can get it for here. Now, this was some "named" ammo and not the usual like Tiger, Brown Bear, etc. that most of us shoot.

The owner also showed me the catalog where he gets the rifle from, which had a few others listed as well...

IMG_6412_zps76fdbc55.jpg

Just thought I'd share...

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
22,629 Posts
WOW!

Very cool. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Cool! Love to have one! I was also in Stuttgart and stayed in Sindelfingen. I had a girlfriend that worked at the Mercedes plant. Lived in Dusseldorf for a while as well(new gf :))

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
Cool. What were the markings on the barrel? IIRC, the barrel is considered the regulated part over there and not the receiver.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. What were the markings on the barrel? IIRC, the barrel is considered the regulated part over there and not the receiver.
Unfortunately, I didn't note any markings on the barrel. Plus my German is too rusty to get too many details, I just wanted to get some quick pics so I could share them with the forum.

There is some info on owning guns in Germany here: Guns in Germany: Facts, Figures and Firearm Law; but I am not too sure about that link as it states the asking price for an AK-47 pattern assault weapon in Germany is reported to be $1,300.

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Very cool, but why are the import marks in English if this is being sold in Germany to Germans?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I wonder if the WS1 designation refers to the receiver type, as it's obviously much different from a WASR-10/63.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I was "deployed" to Ramstein AB, Germany in 2011. The Rod & Gun Club on base had two of these rifles and I was able to shoot one. Here are some pictures that I took of it. I do have a shooting video also, but its very blurry.

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.jpg

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
German civilians can buy allot of cool stuff, BUT as most complain, there is nowhere to really shoot them.

And to buy one, is a major PITA. One must get a gun license, or a hunting license.... Not easy, or cheap. For the sportsshooter license, your visits to your gun club are logged. If you dont make enough, you can loose your license. Your experience also dictates what you get permission to buy...

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Very cool, but why are the import marks in English if this is being sold in Germany to Germans?
English is the "Universal" language. Supposedly a lot of Soviet export armor and equipment have English labels and instruments!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Cool thread OP. Thanks for sharing :beer:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was "deployed" to Ramstein AB, Germany in 2011. The Rod & Gun Club on base had two of these rifles and I was able to shoot one...
I was stationed at Ramstein from 95-97, and thought the Rod & Gun had closed down. I really don't remember it, but to be honest I was shooting Uncle Sam's weaponry and ammo at the time...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts