AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I snagged a “WASR 10” from a private sell for $800. Guy said he got it like 10 years ago and stuck it in his safe. Checked it out, rivets looked good. No canting and fit and finish deals better than the botched SAM7K I got from KVAR that I bitch about all the time. I’m still salty.Some rivets are little flat but all are flush with no major dimpling. It’s never been fired and still soaked In Cosmoline. Only thing he did was put this magpull stock on. Got home and noticed a little triangle in the trunion. Googled it and apparently it a WASR 10/63. But I’m a little confused because the trunion doesn’t have the serial number stamped but it has the military marking on it. The engraved serial number matches the serial number on the bolt carrier. Any ideas why this is?

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just a proof mark. Similar marking usually stamped between the two pictures rivets on the receiver. Being an export model you're going to see more "odd" trunnion serial formats like that. Typical WASR.

Also it would be oil not cosmoline. Cosmoline is for long-term storage. No reason to put that on export production for an end-user assumed to be using it immediately.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a proof mark. Similar marking usually stamped between the two pictures rivets on the receiver. Being an export model you're going to see more "odd" trunnion serial formats like that. Typical WASR.

Also it would be oil not cosmoline. Cosmoline is for long-term storage. No reason to put that on export production for an end-user assumed to be using it immediately.
Thanks!!! I was guessing that it was an un-issued old production trunnion and they just went with the serial numbers on the rest of the part when they threw it together. Anyways, I’m pretty happy with the build quality. Zero canting. There is some slight dimpleing on one river but it’s on the rear trunion and I’m guessing it won’t mess with anything. Oooof 800 for a Wasr was hard to swallow but at least it’s in good condition.

·
Registered
267 Posts
From my own kits I've got stamped serial numbers, electro pencil, and pantograph so they definitely used a few different methods.

800 is pretty typical now sadly. That's even a GOOD price when a new one is over 1000. Strange times.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
The 10/63 version was made from surplus military parts on the WASR receiver. That would account for the way it was marked. Generally the WASR-10/63 was considered one of the better versions of the basic WASR-10.

And yes, sadly $800 these days is considered a very good buy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The 10/63 version was made from surplus military parts on the WASR receiver. That would account for the way it was marked. Generally the WASR-10/63 was considered one of the better versions of the basic WASR-10.

As I've posted elsewhere, my 10/63 has served me essentially flawlessly for years. Its trunnion has the typical Cugir triangle with arrow marking, # matches the bolt carrier #, etc. Trunnion is stamped 1966.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I looked a little closer and the dust cover #was rubbed off so I’m guessing that’s what happened to the trunion and they just engraved a new one. Doesn’t bug me a bit except I would have liked to have known the date. But at least is still have the proof mark by the barrel pin. It’s an awesome rifle.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I've posted elsewhere, my 10/63 has served me essentially flawlessly for years. Its trunnion has the typical Cugir triangle with arrow marking, # matches the bolt carrier #, etc. Trunnion is stamped 1966.
I really lucked out with this one. Zero canting in the sights and absolutly no mag wobble. Having some Galils, I just had that itch for a comblock AK, something I could hold and listen to the red army quire with 😂 This deff scratched that itch.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The serial number on the trunnion, and any matching parts, are all from the original Romanian military issue AKM that was rebuilt with a new semi-auto receiver.

Please post a photo showing the whole serial number on the trunnion.

Also please post a photo showing the markings on the right side of the receiver.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The serial number on the trunnion, and any matching parts, are all from the original Romanian military issue AKM that was rebuilt with a new semi-auto receiver.

Please post a photo showing the whole serial number on the trunnion.
It's not a 10/63. This is no longer the case with the WASR10.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not a 10/63. This is no longer the case with the WASR10.
I’m pretty sure it is. Here are some photos. The bolt carrier has the “0308” stamped on rather than the electro pension. My best guess is they used an unused/unissued military trunnion and needed a serial number so they used the one on the bolt? Idk.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well it says 10/63 right on it so color me incorrect :p

But that's definitely an export trunnion marking. It's the style all the WASR10s have. With the RO at the end.

Must be a transitional piece.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it says 10/63 right on it so color me incorrect :p

But that's definitely an export trunnion marking. It's the style all the WASR10s have. With the RO at the end.

Must be a transitional piece.
I really is throwing me off lol. It’s full of mill surp parts. You can even see the #filed off the rear dust cover. And as I mentioned the bolt carrier has the stamped serial number that matches the electro pencil one added. But hey, no canting and no mag wobble so I won’t complain. It just had me wondering lol

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Looks more like a WASR 10 and not a 10/63 but it is marked that way I think transitional parts were used, the trunnion markings are WASR 10.
No older 10/63 I had was serialized like yours they all had the original military serial number.
Every WASR 10/63 I have owned have been excellent rifles.
I always check for canting and rivet condition because thats your job as the buyer in the first place.
I hate when people complain about a WASR they bought.
Its their fault if they didn't look it over before buying it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I may be wrong but check to see if you have a chrome lined barrel.
The 10/63 does have a CHF barrel the WASR 10s do not.

·
Registered
In the forest at end of a long dirt road in Ga
324 Posts
Hmm, every WASR-10 I’ve checked out was CL barrel.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts