AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Romanian SAR-1 that I acquired a couple of years ago from a buddy. The finish on it appears to be a parkerized finish and does have scratches and such on it. I’ve been contemplating refinishing it but I am unsure what would be the best product to refinish in (Cerakote, molyresin, etc) or if I should even refinish it at all. If there’s anyone that could provide me insight that would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I believe you are right that the SAR-1 appears to be parked. Personally I like the look as it has that "traditional" AKM look. While I don't like changing the finish of something like the SAR-1, Cerakote would be a good finish as so far what I have heard about it is that it is durable, and you can get just about any color you want, including a flat black to simulate the original finish on the SAR-1 with something nicer.

Again, my personal preference is the orignal finish on the SAR-1 because with all the scuff marks, it is still very resistant to rust, and it does give it that "battle field pick-up" look.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Paint over park is a long accepted firearm finish.

Its your gun but i would not do something which could not easily be undone.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The actual finish on Romanians is a black oxide [ Blued] It looks just like a darker parkerizing but is not . The parts were prep blasted with sand or alum oxide and then finished and it gives it the matte parkerized look .They are not polished after like a normal blued firearm finish.

·
Technical Advisor
15,599 Posts
+1., media blasted and black oxide finish.

Carrier often higher pre polished finish.

·
Registered
945 Posts
One way I have reproduced the dark black oxide " Romanian" matte finish is labor intensive but really turns really nice and looks factory . Prep and blast with alum. oxide . Then cold blue the parts until they are black and even in color. lastly , mag. parkerize the parts as normal . Finish look is like a dark Romy matte factory black oxide finish. Seems to hold oil better because of the parkerizing to prevent rusting and seems durable. Good luck !

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was always of the opinion that the finish was a muriatic acid pre-dip on non-blasted metal before a manganese phosphating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just out of curiosity do you guys paint/treat the parts individually or assembled. I have a Romy AKM kit and it has quite a bit of scratches, trying to figure out the best approach. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Technical Advisor
15,599 Posts
I was always of the opinion that the finish was a muriatic acid pre-dip on non-blasted metal before a manganese phosphating.
Phosphate is more of a grey color tone.
Black Oxide is a beeper black.
Romanian rifles are Black Oxide In my opinion and observation.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Phosphate is more of a grey color tone.
Black Oxide is a beeper black.
Romanian rifles are Black Oxide In my opinion and observation.
The muriatic acid causes the black color. I am still not 100% though.

https://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378194

That link sort of convinced me. It looks REALLY similar. But if anyone has a way I can chemically detect manganese on metal I'd love to try it on some of my kit receiver stubs.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You can use muriatic acid type pre dip for parkerizing and I have used it many times with great results. Makes the metal very dark before you drop in the park tank. Lauers aka Duracoat out of Chip Falls , Wi sells it . You have to be careful using it though as its nasty stuff !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts