AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, picked up a '65 dated romanian RPK kit. Now I know there was a time when both the romanians and the russians had dimpled receivers and a time when the did not and utilized the internal support. What dates had what? Thanks, Craig

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I did some digging and answered my own question. It should have dimples. SO the DCI receiver is out if I want it correct. What is there to say about the coldsteel rpk blank? How do you harden these properly? Or do you have to? Thanks for the help. Craig ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I believe you can use the Yugo M72 receiver if you want dimples, but it looks like they're not making any more! They are considering a run of them again though and according to their site you can get on a list. They have done that with several receivers in the past and they have pretty much always ended up doing another run so you can probably do that if you're willing to wait. I can't remember if there are any dimensional differences that would need to be addressed with that receiver however.

I would suggest you don't use a coldsteel RPK blank. In my opinion, they suck. Shipping takes forever, and the blank I received wasn't nearly the caliber of a real receiver like what you'd get from NDS. The dimples weren't stamped very well, and the template they sent me was terrible. Just about every marking on it was out of spec and I didn't realize this. The receiver ended up being worthless since I didn't have a welder to fix the out-of-spec cuts and holes and I ended up buying an NDS receiver for the build which worked 100% better. There are a lot of people who have built them successfully, but each and every one of them will tell you that they have problems and they are a challenge to build on. Building one is for the expert only, and don't expect the end result to be as high of quality of a receiver as a 100% receiver from a good manufacturer like NDS.

Honestly if it were me, I'd probably just go with the non-dimpled NDS RPK receiver. It may not be correct for your year, but most of the RPKs out there don't have dimples so I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, thanks for the reply. Spent the evening reading up and it looks like the yugo is not an option becasue of the angle of tthe rear of the receiver or something. The coldsteel blanks are out so it looks like I will just have to go thru ;life without dimples :lol: Thanks again, Craig

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
O believ the Yugo ZM708 reicever form nodak should work just fine. The M72 has the top cover retaining pin hole, which you definitely do not want on the Romy RPK.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The receivers for the Yugo M70 and M72 (NDS-5 and NDS-9) are not good choices for an RPK-47 kit build. This is because the Yugo receivers have the back edge trimmed at an angle to accommodate the Yugo rear block and the rivet holes do not match the RPK-47 rear block pattern.

A correct receiver for an RPK-47 rear block has the back edge made at a 90 degree angle to the top edge.

The NDS-5 receiver has two holes for the top cover locking pin parts, but the NDS-9 receiver does not have these holes. The M72 rear block is not inletted for the locking pin parts.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Harlan, will be ordering a Romy RPK receiver form you in the next week or so ;) Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts