AK Rifles banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a nice Romanian 7.62 RPK kit, and am wondering if they originally had the scope mount plate attached to the left side of the receiver?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The RPK's in the photo below appear to be Romanian and don't have the mounting plate. Is it a question of year? If so does any one know the cutoff?

(photo borrowed from the RPK board)

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
I'm not sure about the Romanian ones, but I believe the scope was rail something added to later production RPK's and then the RPK-74's. No doubt, special operational forces probably had many of their RPK's retrofitted with a scope rail before it was a fielded thing.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
my-rifle said:
I can't imagine why anyone would put an optics rail on a Romanian RPK. I have several of the kits including a few with damned near perfect bores, and none of them can hit the side of a barn from inside it.
Youve got to be joking!!!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
ak_nut said:
[quote="my-rifle":1sp8hp1d]I can't imagine why anyone would put an optics rail on a Romanian RPK. I have several of the kits including a few with damned near perfect bores, and none of them can hit the side of a barn from inside it.
Youve got to be joking!!!![/quote:1sp8hp1d]

Not at all. This may be different for the Yugoslavian RPKs, but the Romanian ones I have are not at all accurate - like three or four YARDS at 200 yards. Now my Romanian AK's can make nice groups at that range, but the RPKs are no good. Only three of mine have worn bores too. The rest all have nice tight crowns. I was so disappointed that I demilled them all except two representatives.

By the way, somebody needs to teach the guys in that photo how to hold AKs. They must be US army or something.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
my-rifle said:
[quote="ak_nut":1ow8p0n1][quote="my-rifle":1ow8p0n1]I can't imagine why anyone would put an optics rail on a Romanian RPK. I have several of the kits including a few with damned near perfect bores, and none of them can hit the side of a barn from inside it.
Youve got to be joking!!!![/quote:1ow8p0n1]

Not at all. This may be different for the Yugoslavian RPKs, but the Romanian ones I have are not at all accurate - like three or four YARDS at 200 yards. Now my Romanian AK's can make nice groups at that range, but the RPKs are no good. Only three of mine have worn bores too. The rest all have nice tight crowns. I was so disappointed that I demilled them all except two representatives.

By the way, somebody needs to teach the guys in that photo how to hold AKs. They must be US army or something.[/quote:1ow8p0n1]

That's a pretty bold statement considering many of us are either US Army or work with them. :lol:

And, according to the Russian field manual, that is a proper technique to shoot the Kalashnikov.

·
Registered
540 Posts
my-rifle said:
Not at all. This may be different for the Yugoslavian RPKs, but the Romanian ones I have are not at all accurate - like three or four YARDS at 200 yards. Now my Romanian AK's can make nice groups at that range, but the RPKs are no good.
I just got an AES-10B (despite it being a CAI gun) and it is pretty accurate. I wasn't able to get to a real range yet, but I hit everything I aimed at and had consistent groups.

Mark

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
rayman1 said:
my-rifle said:
[quote="ak_nut":eek:mtdcsu4][quote="my-rifle":eek:mtdcsu4]I can't imagine why anyone would put an optics rail on a Romanian RPK. I have several of the kits including a few with damned near perfect bores, and none of them can hit the side of a barn from inside it.
Youve got to be joking!!!!

By the way, somebody needs to teach the guys in that photo how to hold AKs. They must be US army or something.[/quote:eek:mtdcsu4]

That's a pretty bold statement considering many of us are either US Army or work with them. :lol:

And, according to the Russian field manual, that is a proper technique to shoot the Kalashnikov.[/quote:eek:mtdcsu4]

Heh, heh Yeah I guess it did sound derogatory. Didn't mean it to be so though. I'm a DOD contractor myself - Army Corps of Engineers, and I count several green-suits among my friends. I usually have to teach them how to use AK's though, because shooting an AK isn't usually in the US soldier's line of work. Shooting AT people shooting AKs is more like it.

By the way I realize from some of your posts that you are talking about the civilian versions of RPK-47s which may well be made for accuracy. The military versions never were, being used primarily to lay down large volumes of fire on a target rather than sniping.

·
Registered
572 Posts
my-rifle said:
By the way I realize from some of your posts that you are talking about the civilian versions of RPK-47s which may well be made for accuracy. The military versions never were, being used primarily to lay down large volumes of fire on a target rather than sniping.

Like I said in a earlier post we have 2 Romanian mil issue select fire RPK's at work that were made in 1978, and 1976, and they are very accurate. I don't know what you are basing this information on, but I am here to tell you of 2 mil issue Romanian RPK's that I know very well, and they would disagree with you about this whole inaccurate claim.

·
Registered
754 Posts
romanain RPK's didnt really have too many scope rails, the RPK is a supressive fire weapon, not a DMR. aimed single shots were not really the RPK protocol, that was for the rifleman not the RPK gunner. That being said the later and special application ones had them for night vision, but not regular scope use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Like I said in a earlier post we have 2 Romanian mil issue select fire RPK's at work that were made in 1978, and 1976, and they are very accurate. I don't know what you are basing this information on, but I am here to tell you of 2 mil issue Romanian RPK's that I know very well, and they would disagree with you about this whole inaccurate claim.
Does the 1976 have magwell dimples ? I have a very nice 100% all matching kit and want it built as correctly as possible and been getting all different answers on the magwell dimples. Many say this year had them and many say they didn't so I'm unsure on who's right

1 - 18 of 18 Posts