AK Rifles banner
921 - 940 of 969 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
I really struggled with adding the front dong when i built my 1966. I dont prefer them but 1966 is the first year that the dong was really starting to show up and the ak’s so i figured for originality, i had to add it. Looking at your 1966 mr nobody, i might just swap the dong out for the palmswell.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I really struggled with adding the front dong when i built my 1966. I dont prefer them but 1966 is the first year that the dong was really starting to show up and the ak’s so i figured for originality, i had to add it. Looking at your 1966 mr nobody, i might just swap the dong out for the palmswell.
Didn’t know that
Thats the wood that came with it and I was lucky to get one of the last old style virgin barrels Iv seen for sale.
I have a 65 too and several Gs to build.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Didn’t know that
Thats the wood that came with it and I was lucky to get one of the last old style virgin barrels Iv seen for sale.
I have a 65 too and several Gs to build.
Technically the 66 rifles came with both handguards. It just depends on what they had on hand at that particular time. But, that was the dongs first appearance on the assembly line. So, majority got them and thats why i hand selected a 1966 kit.

I hear ya on the romy kits. Luckily im down to a 1967 kit and a 1976 first year G kit. Sounds like you still got quite a bit left.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun
Gun Rifle Firearm Assault rifle Trigger

This is one of the 1992 kits available from MidwayUSA earlier this year. It was pretty rough with virtually no finish, a cracked upper hand guard and a fair bit of pitting on the stock, but complete and numbers matching. I built AL1682 on a Childers blank with a Windham barrel, refinished the steel with Norrell’s and Thai seedlac shellac for the wood, which put all of my rookie skills to the test! I have no shop press or mill but Toth tools, a small drill press, good hammer, punches and sharp drill bits and files did the job, and I went slow as many have advised. Just finished bringing this Romanian girl back to life tonight and it feels pretty good!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just finished this 1964 MD63 yesterday, hope to get a little range time and a few more photos tomorrow.

I'm lovin the hardwood !
Gun Firearm Rifle Assault rifle Trigger
Gun Firearm Air gun Trigger Airsoft gun
Gun Firearm Motor vehicle Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
244 Posts
From Romania With Love

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Air gun

Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Gun accessory Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Air gun

Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Air gun

·
Registered
244 Posts
From Romania With Love P2

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

Reactions: MPiKM-72 and dixy2k

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
GTPI what kind of receiver is that on your 1964? Also what finish did you use on it? Looks fantastic.
Agreed. The selector font, spot weld count on the right and domed right side center support rivet head are all as era-correct as a US receiver can get.

921 - 940 of 969 Posts