AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
headstamped 322 over 97

there seems to be lots of ammo coming out of closets due to the ammo crunch . some poor fellow , trapped in sub-standard circumstances was wondering about this stuff . it is OK ammo but nothing special . the only thing match about it is the bullet . this was the only 762x39 marked MATCH by the factory . some Chinese was called MATCH by distributors, and rightly so but , was never marked as match from the factory .

i got good 3 shot 3" to 4" groups but 10 shot groups opened up to 6" + at 100m . accuracy is so subjective to the weapon i hate to report it . Chinese LCB and SPs does a lot better than that for me and Barnaul boxed FMJ was fantastic .

ROMANIAN , this is the STYER *(HIRTENBERGER)* made M67 type lead core bullet found in all EastGerman white boxed ammo w/replaced steelcore bullet reguardless of headstamp . very uniform bullet within lot .
22/80___123grFMJ_____.905"____.3095" ___ slight nipple shaped meplat . some slight red sealant band , some not . ball-ish openbase indent 0.042" deep.
322/97__123grFMJ_____.912"____.310-" ___ slight nipple shaped meplat . very heavy dark-green sealant band . ball-ish openbase indent 0.048" deep . from 700rd dk green tins

322/97 , 55F. , 20.5"b , 5shots

ave 2345fps
hi _ 2382
lo _ 2325
es __ 57
sd __ 22

322/97 55F. , 16.25"b , 10shots

ave 2267fps
hi _ 2311
lo _ 2232
es __ 79
sd __ 25

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Got a picture of the replacement bullet?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cant do pictures quite yet . sorry . they are comming , eventully , i hope .

the only unusual / identifying feature of this bullet is the LITTLE nipple tip , liken to E.German steelcore ball . i say little in comparison to the Uly 8M1 bullet .

of course , the steelcore bullet is about 1.040" long and BOAT TAILED while the replacement is as discribed in my first post .

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... %20%20AK47

as far as i know , those are the only bullets with the little nipple tip .

sounds like a condom add or sumpthing :lol:

besides the little nipple and the fact that its a plated steel jacket , its this :

http://www.igman.co.ba/ammunition.htm

well , then you have to add a wide square cannelure ... I NEED A FRIGGING CAMERA :mad:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
What is wrong with nipples? Everyone needs nipples.

So original East German steel core bullets are nipple tipped too? Or just the replacement bullets? Or both? And hey that 8M1 (I think) Silver Bear stuff has nipples, too.

So many nipples, so little time (sorry couldn't resist).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you gotta keep yer little nipples separated from yer big nipples :oops: dont mix nipples :confused:

both the LC replacement and the original E.G. M43 have LITTLE nipples and , they are the only ones with'em :wink:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
freerangeYODA said:
dont mix nipples :confused:
I'll try to remember that :lol:.

I have some E. German surplus not in original packing and I was hoping there was a way to see if it was steel core or not without destroying a round- plus I have 3 different headstamps.

Totally unrelated to the Rommy ammo, but do you know the ballistics for the E. German rounds? I understand that Chinese 7.62x39mm is supposed to be loaded hot, and that Russian 7.62x39mm shoots like regular Barnaul, but haven't read anything on E. German.

ETA: don't talk about black powder guns around non-shooters. After talking about picking up a new "nipple wrench, nipple pick and emergency ball puller" for my black powder around one of my non-shooter friends, it took me weeks to convince her I didn't have some kind of kinky fettish. :shock:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Q-gunner2 said:
I have some E. German surplus not in original packing and I was hoping there was a way to see if it was steel core or not without destroying a round- plus I have 3 different headstamps.
now that you mention it , it would be hard to tell . its a good excuse to get basic reloading tools and a hammer-puller . the only thing i can think of is that early EG rounds have purplish bullet / primer sealant not red .

Q-gunner2 said:
Totally unrelated to the Rommy ammo, but do you know the ballistics for the E. German rounds? I understand that Chinese 7.62x39mm is supposed to be loaded hot, and that Russian 7.62x39mm shoots like regular Barnaul, but haven't read anything on E. German.
thats all a bunch of hooeee . old wives with tails and everything . you cannot determine MV by feel -or- me and my buddies have spent hundreds for nothing . in fact , we are always trying to call it (the velocity) by feel and nearly always get it wrong . what you FEEL from an AK or SKS can be squewed by the cycling power / port pressure that has little to do with MV .

most milsurp is close to nominal . i have some russian , early commercial factory 3 , 94 date HP that'll do almost 2600fps from a SKS and , the 22 over 80 re-bulleted ammo that does only about 2200fps on a warm day . nearly everything else is SO CLOSE TO NOMINAL its almost boaring . (foreign ammo that is)

i'm mostly concerned with its consistancy . i have chrono data for a lot of 762x39 - give me some headstamps . :mrgreen:

this subject will fill an entire thread of its own :wink:

Q-gunner2 said:
ETA: don't talk about black powder guns around non-shooters. After talking about picking up a new "nipple wrench, nipple pick and emergency ball puller" for my black powder around one of my non-shooter friends, it took me weeks to convince her I didn't have some kind of kinky fettish. :shock:
i can see the WOLF adcopy : now with 33% MORE NIPPLES !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts