AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished this tonight. BFPU built on a mismatched CFS M65 Romanian kit, 1968 triangle arrow trunnion, Nodak receiver, old incorrect sling (Hungarian?), hardwood hg's and pg. The UF is a unique early Romanian milled version (best of the 3 or 4 types that came out of CFS this year). Gas block has a flat bottom (different from standard - not sure what it means - earlier?). Yugo M64(?) mag.

I used emory clothe and 0000 steel wool to age it. BLO on stock bfpu wood. Wood took some fitting. Filled in the cut areas with magic marker stain. Love that stuff.

And it's CA compliant! Can't even see the mag lock, ten round mag mod, or the locked out UF stock.




 

· Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
buffalo said:
Very nice!!,i have a few of these sitting in my garage and now i might just have to do one :grin:
do you remember those $20 barrels from Apex? I am kicking myself. Do you know how many of these CFS kits I could have built with those? I gave them all away with other stuff I sold.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,540 Posts
moab said:
buffalo said:
Very nice!!,i have a few of these sitting in my garage and now i might just have to do one :grin:
do you remember those $20 barrels from Apex? I am kicking myself. Do you know how many of these CFS kits I could have built with those? I gave them all away with other stuff I sold.
$20 Romy barrels? Wow, I must not have been in the market then. I remember cheap Yugo barrels, but that's it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frijolito1988 said:
Wow that looks great! and a local! about 15 miles away :allright:

In LA time that's only three and a half hours away. ;)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jonpo said:
moab said:
buffalo said:
Very nice!!,i have a few of these sitting in my garage and now i might just have to do one :grin:
do you remember those $20 barrels from Apex? I am kicking myself. Do you know how many of these CFS kits I could have built with those? I gave them all away with other stuff I sold.
$20 Romy barrels? Wow, I must not have been in the market then. I remember cheap Yugo barrels, but that's it.

It was about 2 to 2.5 years ago. They sold Rom barrels for $20. I bought like 20 of them. And gave them away with kits. As like an extra barrel. What a f-ing idiot! That is the only thing I really really kick myself for not hanging onto. there are of course lots of things I wish I would have bought and didn't. $75 Rom G kits anyone?!

Anyway.

If you ever build an M65. Make damn sure you put the pg nut loose into that little square hole before you put your uf in one of these.

Ask me how I know?! (shaking my head) You either have to drill a hole in the bottom of your receiver to get the pin punched out. Or destroy the whole uf mech inside the receiver and replace it. After dropping that stupid little nut in. I did the latter and it took me an hour and half of hacking and cutting and ripping with every damn tool in my shop. It was a nightmare.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AKBLUE said:
Lookin very good. I'm right behuind you as soon as my dr1553 receiver shows up. :dance:

What's a "dr1553 receiver"?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
Freakin awesome build moab!!! Good photo skills also, is that paper its sitting on? I love the BFPU's! I also really like the Romy UF stock, I like the way it angles down more than other countries. Now I HAVE to buy one of those kits, along with one of those $115 barrels from Apex. I dont remember Apex barrels being $20, I thought they were around $40-$60? When were they $20? Never again now. When their Romy G kits were $100 I wanted to buy $10K worth, I had the money. Apex said they would sell me that many for $75 each. The wife said "hell NO, you are not buying $10K worth of gun stuff" :sad:






AKBLUE said:
Lookin very good. I'm right behuind you as soon as my dr1553 receiver shows up. :dance:
It's funny yall are calling them by my forum name. My company name is 74u LLC, why? Because the AKS-74u is the most badass AK variant ever made, plus its a short name to put on a receiver, and it wasnt a taken LLC name in Texas. I went thru 23 different LLC names before I found one that wasnt taken.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
moab, do you think the m65 receiver should have a hole in the bottom for pin removal like the NDS yugo receivers have?

I havent even seen an m65 UF mech, would it need one or two holes? Can you post some pics?

Also, you a saying to drop in the PG nut BEFORE installing the UF mech or else you cant get the nut in because of no space to slide it in? Just want to be very clear and make sure I understand exactly the problem.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dr1553 said:
moab, do you think the m65 receiver should have a hole in the bottom for pin removal like the NDS yugo receivers have?

I havent even seen an m65 UF mech, would it need one or two holes? Can you post some pics?

Also, you a saying to drop in the PG nut BEFORE installing the UF mech or else you cant get the nut in because of no space to slide it in? Just want to be very clear and make sure I understand exactly the problem.
It's a more rudimentary uf mech than say a yugo. It has one pin outside. And one pin inside. If you don't drop the pg nut in the square hole before you install the uf mech - it won't fit cause of space.

A hole really isn't necessary unless you ever needed to replace the uf. So I don't think it should have one. Like I said, just in case, leave the inside pin about 1/8 out so you can grab it and pull it up and out if you ever needed to.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dr1553 said:
Freakin awesome build moab!!! Good photo skills also, is that paper its sitting on? I love the BFPU's! I also really like the Romy UF stock, I like the way it angles down more than other countries. Now I HAVE to buy one of those kits, along with one of those $115 barrels from Apex. I dont remember Apex barrels being $20, I thought they were around $40-$60? When were they $20? Never again now. When their Romy G kits were $100 I wanted to buy $10K worth, I had the money. Apex said they would sell me that many for $75 each. The wife said "hell NO, you are not buying $10K worth of gun stuff" :sad:






AKBLUE said:
Lookin very good. I'm right behuind you as soon as my dr1553 receiver shows up. :dance:
It's funny yall are calling them by my forum name. My company name is 74u LLC, why? Because the AKS-74u is the most badass AK variant ever made, plus its a short name to put on a receiver, and it wasnt a taken LLC name in Texas. I went thru 23 different LLC names before I found one that wasnt taken.


How do I find your products?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
qbertquartz2 said:
Is it a NDS1 or old Romy UF NDS? The correct barrel parts and wood makes the rifle, very nice! :thumbsup:
NDS1 Cutting the uf holes was an adventure. I learned I don't know anything. LOL! ;) Riveting does strange things to sheetmetal and hole placement.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
moab said:
How do I find your products?
I have a thread going with some photos and updates on my progress. I'm not selling them yet, but looks like I will be able to start taking orders late next week! I've been waiting on a few receivers I sent out to a heat treater to get back to me. If they are good then I will start taking orders. I should have them on Wednesday or Thursday.

The info is kinda spread out thru the thread so I wanted to give you a quick run thru. Just scroll thru for photos and let me know if your interested.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=126219
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top