AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the new Romanian barrels on the MD90 sidefolder kits? I have one and the trunnion measures 23.10 and both barrels slide right in with no effort. One measures 22.90 and the other is 22.99. I really wanted to use a Romanian barrel but if they are all like this I guess I'll have to use a US barrel.

·
Technical Advisor
15,336 Posts
I have a couple of older Md90 kits.
Trunnions are 23.02 MM +/- and the virgin Romanian barrels are 23.05 MM +/- .

Dunno.,maybe just bad luck of the draw on your barrel to trunnion sizing.
Not sure even knurling would be appropriate in your case.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
I also have an older import Coles late 1991 MD65 kit. It has a large trunnion bore. I've also got some Md90 kits from the same batch but haven't measured them.

In the early 1990's Romanian rifle production quality seems to go down - but frankly the crude appearance is the appeal for me.

I would suggest a Polish oversized barrel from AoA. The exterior surface of the Polish barrel will be smoother than the Romanian, but that is a small price to pay.

https://armsofamerica.com/polishfbradombrandnew762x39coldhammerforgedbarrelbuyanyv-projectproductpartskitandorqty3andreceive10-2.aspx

Reactions: scottyb and Andyman

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have looked at the polish barrels. My trunnion measures .909-.910 in inches. That may be the way I have to go. The one I have now is so close you cannot see daylight between the trunnion and barrel. I would knurl but not worth buying a good tool for a 1 time use. Is this the trunnion bore measure ment

·
Technical Advisor
15,336 Posts
A hand knurling tool will run you $60 +/-.
Maybe do a post for want to trade. Romanian barrel yu have for a larger OD. Might be worth a shot if someone has a larger and needs a bit smaller OD.

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
Seems like #2 receiver journals on the military Romy barrels run in the .908-.909” range, but a #3 journal I’m measuring is .9100/.9105. They’re not easy to find, so the Polish “oversized” (make sure it’s oversized enough before buying, I’ve heard they aren’t that much bigger) might be the best choice.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A hand knurling tool will run you $60 +/-.
Maybe do a post for want to trade. Romanian barrel yu have for a larger OD. Might be worth a shot if someone has a larger and needs a bit smaller OD.
I did that with a guy I know locally. He measured wrong. I might try here next week.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like #2 receiver journals on the military Romy barrels run in the .908-.909” range, but a #3 journal I’m measuring is .9100/.9105. They’re not easy to find, so the Polish “oversized” (make sure it’s oversized enough before buying, I’ve heard they aren’t that much bigger) might be the best choice.
I was looking at those and they are really close to the measurement I am getting.

·
Technical Advisor
15,336 Posts
Check the trunnion and the barrel for the journal size markings. Always helpfulif they are present and trying to mate a barrel to trunnion.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check the trunnion and the barrel for the journal size markings. Always helpfulif they are present and trying to mate a barrel to trunnion.
I posted a picture of the only mark's on the trunnion. The barrel is marked 2 2 2 2.

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
If you purchased it recently perhaps vendor will do a swap return for a measured replacement?
Definitely worth a try, I've heard of a vendor or two actually doing this. They are supposed to meet a certain spec, and that's the buyer's expectation, should be willing to exchange.

Reactions: MPiKM-72
1 - 15 of 15 Posts