AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the Romanian's have sent to the U.S.A. SAR#2s And WASR#2s to this Country with fixed wood stocks.

But the only picture's I have seen of Romanian soldiers with AK-74s, they all had wire folders on them.

Dos anyone know if the Romanians issued non-folding AK-74s to the troops?

I am trying to put together a " correct " AK-74 clone
Alfred

P.S. I would love to see some pictures if anyone would care to post them, It will help out allot.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Alfred, here's some old photos - I enlarged them and cropped them but there's still a little loss of quality. Just in case, the muzzle attachment on them are blank firing devices. Hope that can help a little:

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool pictures :hail:
Thanks Rayman1 :sniper:
Alfred :wink:

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok CGSteve :
We have the same rifle:

LEFT SIDE
INTRAC ARMS,KNOX TN
RATMIL, MADEIN ROMANIA

RIGHT SIDE
INTRAC MK ll
3- 06xxx-97

All I need to do is take of the Bulgarian RPK adjustable sight off and find a Romanian one.
Find A new front sight & Muzzle break and I'll be good to go, also I'll need to put in the 922 compliance parts.

Where can I find a front sight & muzzle break & rear sight all Romanian ???

If anyone has any good input for me please feel free to add to this post.
Alfred

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The correct Romanian AIMS 74 front sight base can be found at KVAR.

The brake I have on mine is correct, but it is US made by AK USA.

Romanian 5.45 mags can be had from CAI at $25 each.

I don't know where to get the sling except from other people on the classifieds.

The orange colored bakelite grip is unobtanium. There are Polish ones that look like it, but then it wouldn't be correct. I am selling the wine colored bakelite grips in the for sale section. :goof:

A proper Romanian AIMS 74 bayonet is also pretty much impossible to get.

The push button folder is the correct one. Nowhere to get that except for here or other forums from people. They cost more than the lever ones. The lever is easier, but all pics I see (including current Afghanistan pics) show the push button so that's what I got on mine.

I use gas piston, FCG, brake, and floorplates for my compliance (not on the steel ones, no one that I know of makes them, but member Grasshopper makes floorplates and follower sets for the bakelite/polymer 74 mags).

Oh, that bakelite upper is a bitch to find too. I found one on Gunbroker, it took me a year to find it.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CGSteve :
You did a fantastic job on your AK-74 Romanian.
I want mine to be as close to a real deal Rommy AK-74 as I can Legally get it, and I see you have done just that, GRATE JOB. :hail:

I have a push bitten wire folder, wine color pistol grip, front pistol grip type front hand guard, and sling.

I need a U.S. Made Gas piston, Trigger F.C.G. AK-U.S.A. 74 Break, and U.S.A. Made Mag follower or Flore plate.

Also I need to get a K-VAR 22mm front sight block, Rommy rear sight, Rommy Steel mag.

I also need to find out if the Romanians used the scope rail on the left side ? if not, it must come off also.

Thank you for your help and thank you for the P.M. you sent me on this matter.
Alfred :smile:

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
The hardest part about putting one of those together is finding that bakelite upper HG, the rest can be readily had. Also, I'm 99% sure they all utilize scope rails. They did on some (if not all) for sure... there's some good pictures of these on Tantals website.

http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/pro19.html

·
Registered
588 Posts
Here is the rail on an AIM74 export rifle.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SA58 :

Thank you for your input & the pictures.

The pictures Rayman1 posted did not have the Scope Rail, that's why I was wondering ?

cmutka :

Thank you for your input.
I see from your picture they did have them on the Military Rifles.

So that question is answered some did and some didn't.
That's cool I can leave mine on and be "correct" :wink:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
rail

cmutka, you should have posted pictures of your'e upper
it's the nicest one i've seen

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to see that upper if you don't mind :razz:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Here is the upper and lower hand guards that came from that rifle. Below is the finished build on a Norinco 86 since there were no receivers available when that was done

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Romanian AK74

Last year my wife and I toured the military museum in Bucharest. One of the weapons displayed was an AK74 type labeled "Model 86" It had a fixed laminated buttstock and laminated, (non-pistol grip) forend. The display did not say if it was an experimental model, export or what ever.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cmutka :
Thanks for sharing I will be looking for parts this weekend at the Tucson Gun Show.
:smile:

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to thank all the people on this Board that have been helping me by sharing knowledge and pictures.
A great bunch of people on this board I have already made friends with three Arizona Members, The Wife and I even had Dinner at a members house.
Glad I Joined the AK Forum Great bunch of people. :wink:

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
That almost looks like an upper from a Milled Bulgarian, very nice!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Here's some not so fancy pic's of what I cobbled together.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts