AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally somebody is offering them. Spendy but they have not been for sale other than part out PARs. Get them while you can. Now I have 2. :twisted:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/

You will have to look under AK items $95 FSB/GB

So you can take a G kit and make one of these. :hail: :dance:

Edited for APEX site cart.

G

·
0 Posts
Kinda pricey. :roll:
Did you modify a gas tube in the above, or did you have an original AIM one?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep its pricey but K-Vars AK-142B are out of stock for at least 6 months running over $100 and thats the only other game in town, if they even get restocked. I checked into machining them in house on our CNC mill and still at $95 its cheaper than a setup and a production run. There are many clamping operations to cut this part so multiple jigs need to be created to make them. That is why nobody just makes them domestically, it just costs to much to make.

It took me all of about a minute to decide to order this one and I already have a FSB/GB from a PAR-1 that cost me $60 and I need to weld and drill before I can use it.

Its an advanced DIY build. The pictures are just mocked up, the builds will happen after the Stamps for the SBRs are received. The Gas tube mods are around. Some people did cut and bell jobs to the gas tubes for using standard upper handguards on AMD-65s.

On my AIMR copy I will use the AIMR gas piston. So the tube will be a little longer.

On this one I will use the AMD-65 gas piston for the shortest possible gas tube with standard handguard.

G

·
0 Posts
I have some AIMR rods so I will need to search the gas tubes or modify others.

·
Registered
544 Posts
tangotag said:
On this one I will use the AMD-65 gas piston for the shortest possible gas tube with standard handguard.
Hey do you know the length of the original barrel and how much extra the beer can adds? Will it make 16 inches? Thanks

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AIMR Barrels are 12 1/4" Champ/Draco pistols with sidefolding stock.
http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.a ... HG1844%2DN

My Polymer SBR build will have a shorter barrel around 11 3/4" as it will be built around an AMD-65 piston which is a little shorter than the AIMR piston.The Bulgy Beercan is not much longer than 3", if that. A 16" would need somthing like a barrel extension. Welded or blind pinned fake can. Something like that.

Henderson Defence is selling a similar SBR
http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/produc ... oductId=10
Mine will be shorter, by a little. :lol:
SBRs are different than the rest of the world, the shorter the cooler. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They did not last long. I only ordered one. :cool: It must have been popular.

The left is from a PAR and needs to be plugged and welded before drilling the gas hole. The right is from APEX.
Some different changes: front angle cut, gas tube contact cut and holes.

G

·
0 Posts
They must have not gotten to many in...I ordered two, and I'm glad I did...though I think there was one on the FS Board for 35 bucks :sad:
The ones from Apex had a few minor pull marks. Wonder where the gas tubes, flash hiders, and pistons went?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow! Spendy!
I bought an AIMR "clone" from the former Hammerstone Arsenal that has this FS/GB installed. I really like the look, but the piece itself looks poorly made along the sides, almost as if someone carved it.

I'm sure you guys want the real deal, but next time I want a FS/GB I just assume weld the front sight to the gas block.

G

·
0 Posts
Compnsatyr said:
Wow! Spendy!
I bought an AIMR "clone" from the former Hammerstone Arsenal that has this FS/GB installed. I really like the look, but the piece itself looks poorly made along the sides, almost as if someone carved it.

I'm sure you guys want the real deal, but next time I want a FS/GB I just assume weld the front sight to the gas block.
Yep. You are right. My intent is the real deal build. I have a few Iraqi Award Tabuks in the oven as well. :twisted:

G

·
0 Posts
tangotag said:

The left is from a PAR and needs to be plugged and welded before drilling the gas hole. The right is from APEX.

Would the one on the left(PAR) require a shorter tube?

G

·
0 Posts
tangotag said:

Would the one on the left(PAR) require a shorter tube?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I too bught a Century 10/63KR from Hammerstone. It is a fun little piece. The lack of dimples aren`t that big of deal to me. It after all is a factory gun and not a kit build. Despite a few warts like the crude finish on the fsb and a finish like most Romys that required blast, park and Gunkote it looks great now. It has run like a top from day one. That being said, if I do another one I`ll probably start with a Champion or Draco pistol and add a rifle trunion for my next stamp project. I doubt I`ll be able to find another real 7.62 AimR flash hider though, that was pure luck. :wink:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The PAR FSB/GB is 1/8" shorter lineing up the barrel pins holes. If the APEX base was trimmed back just to remove the holes the gas tube area would be the same. So the APEX Base would have a shorter gas tube by 1/8" and the PAR the longer one.

I think the APEX bases came from a STG-2000C. Just by initial appearances from pics I have seen.

Both bases I have do not have an retainer for the cleaning rod.

I could always machine one and weld it to the base.

Currently buying a Draco/Champ pistol or Greentimbers kit would be the only other way to build a AIMR. Though I have less money into my builds than either option.
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewto ... nk&start=0

·
Registered
17 Posts
i wanted to get a new FSB and add that & a comp to my Mk11 for a couple of yrs now, 1st ya couldnt find the FSB then ya couldnt find the comp, i finally put that on hold for a while but do wanna eventually do that mod........

:dance:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts