AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think the currently available Romy .223 (WASR? or SAR 3, whatever??) would be a good basis for building up some type of Beryl clone?? Can the sides of the receiver be annealed and the dimples bent?? Am I drunk?? :lol:

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Probably drunk.......... :goof:

:twisted:

I don't know......I've heard not so good things about the WASR-3's.

Scuttlebutt is that the SAIGA's are off the boat and enroute though.....might be more work but ultimately a better rifle to use the SAIGA as a base.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
there is a guy selling a .223 Saiga down in the market place there,...

i was looking into it,.. but with news of new Saiga's comming in,..i gotta say F the .223! i want a 20in. 7.62x391,.....

after all i still have 3 of the 10rd mags,...a extra drag. style stock laying around collecting dust,...and plenty of other parts laying around to do a kick ass conversion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Either option is beyond my skill set, but would not adding dimples to a Wasr or Saiga be easier if one were to cut holes, and weld in stamped cups, then shape the welds with a dremmel?

I don't see how it is possible to stamp those rather deep dimples into a finished and heat treated reciever without deforming it.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think if it were annealed properly and a guy was using the right tools they could be created withought DEFORMING the receiver. I would worry about thinning and cracking though. Anyway, just a thought. Spent too much money as is anyway (between Andrei, Ohio RF, Global Trades and Rob Stott!!! :goof: ) and I think I'll wait to see what kind of Saigas show up. :wink:

·
Registered
368 Posts
If dimples make a difference to you then get rid of the WASR. Dimples are no big deals. I have a WASR3 .223 I bought when they first came out. main problem was mags. i had bought 5.45 mags that were supposed to have .223 followers in them...well they didnt. I have to take it back out this comiing weekend using .223 bakelite mags and metal Wieger mags. the guns have been upgraded some...G2 FCG, 90 degree gas block. Ive put all E. German furniture on it with the side folding stock. Get the bugs out of them and there ok.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
cruzie27 said:
there is a guy selling a .223 Saiga down in the market place there,...

i was looking into it,.. but with news of new Saiga's comming in,..i gotta say F the .223! i want a 20in. 7.62x391,.....

after all i still have 3 of the 10rd mags,...a extra drag. style stock laying around collecting dust,...and plenty of other parts laying around to do a kick ass conversion.
Cruzie I wish I knew you were looking into one, I've got one on the old EE for sale right now I'd give you a killer deal if interested? It still needs a Bullet guide and maybe a true Bulgy or Russian FSB. But other than that it's good to go.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=327133
IF you interested IM me I'd give you a killer deal!

Jake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts