AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here comes a stupid question: I'd like to install the spring and plunger into the FSB on a Romak II and thread the barrel since I can't find a 22mm FSB; what I don't see is how it is retained in the FSB? Most FSBs I've dealt with have the pins on the top side of the barrel, and the front pin is what retains the plunger. The Romak pins are on the underside, with one pin in the top rear. Does it take a different type of plunger than the notched type on an AKM? What retains it without a front pin? Queue the simple answer that will make me feel stupid!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK - I see this one on Desert Fox's website, and now this one makes sense for the Romak's application:

M92/M85 Muzzle Detent Pin and Spring #CW1004

I talked to K-Var and DSA, and neither have (or are expecting) a 22mm FSB. I don't see one offered on Desert Fox's site. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
The plunger on a ROMAKII is like any AK74. The threads on the FSB 22mm threaded extension retain the plunger. The cross rivet in the rear rwetains the spring and ounger once they are installed.
It is possible to retrofit that FSB to have a plunger. But before that you need to determine if the barrel can be threaded., if it is .500" +/- it can be threaded 1/2x28 RH., if it is .550" it can be threaded 14mmx1 standard euro AKM. Also the setback of the FSB is rather long and not all muzzle device have enough threads to screw all the way on.

After all that you can fab up a plunger like used in an AKM., to retain it you drill a cross hole in the FSB near the front and insert a roll pin to act as the retainer for the flat that is cut in the retainer. install spring behind the plunger and then a profiled rivet to peen as the retainer at the rear of the FSB.

It is not overly hard if you have some shop tools and understand what is going on in a plunger assembly and how to retain it etc.

Example of the roll pin., cross rivet and plunger locations. This is a neutered Bulgarian AK74 FSB similar to the Romanian but on a 7.62 rifle with 14mm threaded barrel.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My barrel measures about .502" or so, and I figured I'd go ahead and do the 1/2x28 RH thread. I never thought about the brake threads running out before they bottomed out against the FSB, but the long section of barrel would definately do that (I wonder if CNC Warrior would thread one his 1/2x28 74 brakes deeper?). My other idea is to go ahead and thread it all the way, and then use one of the 1/2x28 to 24mm adapters, and just use a 24mm brake. I think the adapter would thread all the way down. I think that would likely negate the plunger for the brake, but would keep the adapter from backing out?

Would the spring/plunger I referenced in the link work with the existing pin at the top rear of the FSB? If not, the drilling and pinning wouldn't be a big deal, but if I can install it by just driving a pin in and out, I'd go that route. Thanks for the advice.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Because you are going 1/2x28 there may be enough clearance in front of the threads on the muxzzle device to go on further without hitting the nose of the barrel., dunno., but on 14/1 it is an issue.
No you cannot retain the plunger with the rear cross rivet. That is simply a end stop. Normally., the acrtual fixed threads on the 22mm threaded portion on the FSB would retain the plunger. It is just a rod., spring and rear rivet retainer.
With nothing in front to retain the plunger you must cut a flat in a round piece of stock (nail shank etc) of the proper diameter and so the plunger can travel in and out but be stopped by the rear of the cut in the plunger so it cannot come all the way out and the front of the cut or relief in the plunger allows it to go inside the FSB and against the spring for tension and installing the muzzle device.

Or you can press off that FSB and install a 24mm Bulgarian FSB and screw on the muzzle device and done. That may cost $90 or so in parts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't the Bulgarian a slightly larger diameter than the Romanian Romak barrel? Seems like I've read that the fit is iffy trying to install the Bulgy FSB on a Romak/CUR/WUM barrel.

I've installed a few of the plungers on a couple of Hungarian AKMs - that's why I couldn't figure out how the plunger was retained without the front pin on this thing. I get it now with your explanation. Thanks.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Isn't the Bulgarian a slightly larger diameter than the Romanian Romak barrel? Seems like I've read that the fit is iffy trying to install the Bulgy FSB on a Romak/CUR/WUM barrel.

I've installed a few of the plungers on a couple of Hungarian AKMs - that's why I couldn't figure out how the plunger was retained without the front pin on this thing. I get it now with your explanation. Thanks.
The Romanian CURII, WUMII, WASRII & SARII did have deviations in barrel diameter. You would have to pull the FSB and measure to see if it is the standard .572" to fit the the AKM and AK74.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
A 4mm RSB pin is the perfect diameter to modify into plungers for these rifles. You can shorten it to the desired length and cut a notch in it for a retainer pin like AKBLUE posted.

Nathan

·
Registered
664 Posts
Last week,I called kvar two different times.So,I would get two different operators hitting them with the same ?
"Can I place an order for the FSB 22MM".Both ops gave me the same answer,"Well,let's see.I'm going to place the order with our vendor,and see what happens.Hmmm,not taking the request.Appears the item is NLA,as I'm not able to enter in our system."
Maybe,someone else can try it.See,what they tell you.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Last week,I called kvar two different times.So,I would get two different operators hitting them with the same ?
"Can I place an order for the FSB 22MM".Both ops gave me the same answer,"Well,let's see.I'm going to place the order with our vendor,and see what happens.Hmmm,not taking the request.Appears the item is NLA,as I'm not able to enter in our system."
Maybe,someone else can try it.See,what they tell you.
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish. They have been sold out for over a year as indicated on their web site>

The Largest AK-47/74 Rifle...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I emailed them before, and also called DSA. DSA says no idea, but maybe early next year. I'm guessing what is floating around now is all there is going to be.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
I emailed them before, and also called DSA. DSA says no idea, but maybe early next year. I'm guessing what is floating around now is all there is going to be.
+1., DSA has not had the 22mm FSB's for over 2 years. Their site commonly has long ago out of stock items.
K-VAR has not had the FSB's for a 12 -18 months IIRC. Maybe some will come in but looks pretty slim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts