AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Romak 2 with a not threaded muzzle that I am going to thread 1/2-28 and use an adapter to make it 24mm so that I can use a real AK74 brake.

·
Super Moderator
10,323 Posts
I would hope you haggle first and ask them what they want. Could pick it up way cheaper than $450 that way. $400-$450 is a fair price though.

Hootbro

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it. The first thing it needs is a good cleaning and a pistol grip and buttstock. Oh yeah, I have to replace the upper handguard too because it is broken. Luckily I have a nice set of AK74 furniture that I can put on it. Although I am seriously considering putting a Romy pistol grip lower handguard and a Romy side folder. I like the fact that it has an upturned handle on the bolt carrier.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I am playing around a bit with my Romak 2 this cold week end, doing a little reconfiguration, changing the grip & setting up a forward reflex ("red dot") device on a mount I previosly cobbled together. Pics taken this afternoon...

I was thinking a urban camo pattern might be zoomie, but am still undecided.

I think I'll just elect to only add some synthetic picatinny stock to the sides & bottom of the lower handguard when I can dig some up at the next gunshow.

Lollygagger :neutral:

·
Super Moderator
10,323 Posts
dalesimpson said:
I got it. The first thing it needs is a good cleaning and a pistol grip and buttstock. Oh yeah, I have to replace the upper handguard too because it is broken. Luckily I have a nice set of AK74 furniture that I can put on it. Although I am seriously considering putting a Romy pistol grip lower handguard and a Romy side folder. I like the fact that it has an upturned handle on the bolt carrier.
If you do not mind telling, what did you give for it?

Thanks,
Hootbro

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hootbro said:
dalesimpson said:
If you do not mind telling, what did you give for it?

Thanks,
Hootbro
Hoot, it ended up being a trade deal. No cash changed hands.

Now it looks like I will have to change the front sight so that I can put a brake on it and lose that permanently attached muzzle nut.

·
Super Moderator
10,323 Posts
Do what I did and just thread the muzzle end 1/2"x28 and install an adapter to 24mm or 22mm. Hell of alot cheaper and also the ROMAK 2's still have the detent pin already installed unlike the latter SAR-2's. I just dremeled the weld on the muzzle nut and twisted off since it is pressed on a smooth barrel end. Thats of course unless you got to have the original FSB for attaching a bayonet.

Hootbro

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hoot, I didn't think there was enough "meat" on the muzzle to thread it, and I have heard some guys taking the welded muzzle nut off and finding threads underneath. I will have to do some investigating.

·
Super Moderator
10,323 Posts
dalesimpson said:
Hoot, I didn't think there was enough "meat" on the muzzle to thread it, and I have heard some guys taking the welded muzzle nut off and finding threads underneath. I will have to do some investigating.
There enough for 1/2"x28. 99.99% of the 5.45 type rifles with the muzzle nut are pressed on. I have only seen maybe 1 in 10 on the 7.62x39 rifles threaded. Also, is your muzzle nut look longer than average? if so, it is for sure pressed on a smooth barrel. "WJM" on Gunsnet and Ar15.com rents a thread kit and global sells the adapters.

Hootbro

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hootbro said:
dalesimpson said:
There enough for 1/2"x28. 99.99% of the 5.45 type rifles with the muzzle nut are pressed on. I have only seen maybe 1 in 10 on the 7.62x39 rifles threaded. Also, is your muzzle nut look longer than average? if so, it is for sure pressed on a smooth barrel. "WJM" on Gunsnet and Ar15.com rents a thread kit and global sells the adapters.

Hootbro
Well, I got the muzzle nut off and just as I suspected there aren't any threads under there. Yes the muzzle nut is longer than normal. I never thought about threading to 1/2-28 because I guess I didn't realize that there were adapters out there. I will get in tough with wjm about the kit. I rented his 14-1 left hand thread kit when I threaded my SAR-1, but I guess I didn't know he had 1/2-28. I will have to see if I can find the adapters on Global. All is not lost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts