AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can anyone tell me about these? Are they a decent AK? Trading a rifle with a bud of mine for a few AK's, this is one of them.....

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
The best Romanian AK to get, in 7.62x39....... They were called the WUM-1 as well; Be sure to check it first, as some (mostly the WUMs) have a receiver with an FPK/PSL style back, to prevent a standard stock from being installed.

But they will be a nice, factory Romy gun. It will also be a true AKM style, vs an AK74 in 7.62, or a civy sporter.
Here is mine-

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
image.jpg This is want it looks like.. Has a weird scope rail on the dust cover? Trying to get a feel for what it's worth

·
Registered
251 Posts
Most scope rails on the dust cover are considered junk. If the internals are fine and the barrel looks good, I can say a $600-700 price tag is fair to me. You can get a new WASR 10/63 for $550 (before FLL fees & shipping) if that helps get a perspective.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The top cover with scope rail is probably aftermarket, which adds nothing to the value IMO. If you wanted to restore it to more correct condition you'd have to buy or trade for a standard topcover. Looking closely it seems that the muzzle is not threaded. I'm not sure if some of these rifles were and some were not. Many buyers would consider an unthreaded muzzle as a downgrade to the value, but YMMV. If it's unthreaded, and you want to be able to attach a muzzle device, you can either buy a clamp-on or pay $100 or so to have it threaded.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
None of the Romaks came over with threaded muzzles as they were imported during the clinton stupidity, and evil features were a no-no. Most had a muzzle nut tack welded over the barrel, but there were still no threads under it.

In fact they came over with Romak 3 style stocks so that they didn't have that evil separate pistol grip. This allowed them to be imported with the full Romanian trigger group, as opposed to the SAR series that had Century trigger groups, and early WASRs that were convertered also had Century fire control parts. Depending on how the one in the picture was converted to evil pistol grip, it might still have the original Romanian fire control parts.

With WASRs selling for what they are these days, the Romak 1, even with the wrong stock set and wrong top cover would still be worth $600 +/- a few dollars.

As for quality, they were among the nicer of the Romanians.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm... Did some looking and didn't come up with much... Where's a good spot to order a proper dustcover? Did the romanian rifles have a ribbed looking cover?

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
You are most welcome. Apex is an excellent source & robertrtg.com as well, but they were out of stock at this time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts