AK Rifles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Romak 1 and am wanting to put a muzzle brake on it. I am aware that the barrel is not threaded. From what I understand, I need to thread it. Does anyone know if the 14mm-1 thread will work?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good. thanks. if I am unable to thread, how do you think a thread adapter will do? if I go this route I plan to weld it on like the original one so it doesn't fly off.

·
Banned
16,234 Posts
If the barrel diameter is turned down to .500" it can be threaded 1/2x28 pitch and there are muzzle devices in that thread on CNC Warrior site etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
this is what i did after researching here and akfiles:
1) consult the document on cnc warrior site
http://www.cncwarrior.com/v/vspfiles/Barrel_Threading.pdf
2) remove muzzle nut from Romak
3) measure barrel size
4) order kit from cnc warrior based up the recommended size
I had to go with 1/2 - 28
5) order brake that i liked with jam nut
6) followed directions and watched a few u-tube video
7) got the tools and oil and did the job.
I have a Romak 1 and am wanting to put a muzzle brake on it. I am aware that the barrel is not threaded. From what I understand, I need to thread it. Does anyone know if the 14mm-1 thread will work?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Auto part
I have been wondering the same thing, I just picked up a Romak 1 but the barrel seems a little longer in front of the front sight than a standard AK..Havent measured it yet, but was considering threading it and installing a birdcage style hider from CNC warrior. Not sure if it will be long enough though..Has anyone done this on the Romak?

·
Banned
16,234 Posts
It appears they set the front sight base (FSB) to the rear a bit further. That is unusual on a 7.62 rifle with a standard FSB. The 5.45 rifles in the '2'series., WASR, SAR, WUM 2 etc., had the longer exposed barrel because the 22mm front end of the barrel was cut away (neutered) and it was longer that the normal threading area on a AKM type barrel.
Some brakes will fit a longer muzzle thread area but not the slant or barrel nut.
If the diameter is .550" +/- it can be threaded for standard 14mmx1 pitch.
Or get one of the 24mm adaptors and use one of those type muzzle attachments.

·
Registered
101 Posts
AKblue, thanks for the response and info. I can see the issue i'm going to have is finding something with a long enough internal thread. Hopefully I can find something I can thread enough on there to engage the retaining pin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts