AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need a question answered if someone would be nice enough ??!!??

Are the rivets for Chinese rifles larger is diameter than for the European rifles??

I'm currently looking for a MAK90 and want to build it into an underfolding bayonet model with the Chinese side folding stock. I have the front site base and the bayonet and also have the side folder and trunion, but was going to use a NoDAK receiver to get rid of the "MAK90" and also use a traditional 4 rivet trigger guard. Plus there wouldn't be any weld up on any of the old rivet holes when changing out the rear stocks and trunnions, as I want everything to be "new" when built and not obvious that it was a replacement.

If anyone has any other thoughts of my using the NoDAK and the 4 rivet trigger guard, PLEASE, jump in and let me know what you think......

thanks,

Kerry

:smile:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
FWIW I think the chinese rivets are larger in diameter than the Euro ones IIRC. I just bought some Chinese rivets a month or so ago on GB, I'll dig them out and put a caliper to 'em and post the results.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You are aware you will have to mill down the front trunnion? I have heard you will have to mill some areas in the mag catch to get it to feed properly as well...

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Guys... why not just use a Elk River receiver?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flyingjibus said:
You are aware you will have to mill down the front trunnion? I have heard you will have to mill some areas in the mag catch to get it to feed properly as well...
Mill the mag catch????? Sounds wrong to me. As long as the mag catch comes from a rifle that didn't have any trouble in the first place and the receivers are the same measurement from top to bottom as the receiver from which the parts are taken, there shouldn't be any alteration that would to be needed or taken to facilitate feeding.

Feeding probems crop up when the front trunnion is not pushed back far enough and there is excessive space between the back of the front trunnion and the mag catch. This extra space allows the mag to hang down further than it should and the bolt will ride up and over the top round in the mag (at times). I've seen this twice and in both cases, when the trunnion was reset and reriveted, the problem disappeared. A good fit on the mag is crucial when building an AK if you don't want feeding problems.

With over 35 builds to my name (yeah, I know, it isn't many, but I take my time and DO IT RIGHT), I've never had any of them that exhibited any feeding problems. :dance: :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Q-gunner2 said:
Guys... why not just use a Elk River receiver?
ElkRiver?????? Never heard of them. Can you give some details on the receiver and explain WHY it is better than a NoDAK?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts