AK Rifles banner

Riveting a scope rail

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  JeepFan 
#1 ·
I have searched the forum and the interweb for some good references, but can't find any.

What I'm looking for first of all is how the original rails were riveted, like pictures of what the rivets look like on the inside and outside. This would tell me a lot of how to go about it. I would also like to know the dimension between the rail and the top of the receiver. I found a dimension somewhere, but I lost it.

If anybody has tips for how to press the rivets I'd appreciate that as well. I want to do a factory looking rivet job, so I'm not really interested in any makeshift ways of doing it. I can make the tools for this, just need to know what the end result looks like.

#2 ·
The rivet profiles vary depending on model and year. Your best bet is finding pictures of OGs (I use the AK47 Catalog by Stottman). The inside is gonna be difficult though, the only way to know for sure is to have a real one or receiver stubs with the rivets still in.
As for the dimension from the top rail - that's not exactly how it works. The rearmost rivet ties through your rear trunnion, which sets your height. Measure along the top rails of the receiver to the top of the side rail until it's parallel.

#4 ·
I should have made it more clear that I'm not looking to match a certain make or model, I just want to do a professional installation that looks like something a factory would have done (if that makes sense). In other words, I want to press them without having to file them or clean them up in other ways for clearance etc.

Also, I'll be using the short rail that doesn't attach to the rear trunnion, so that's why I need the dimension from the top of the receiver.

#8 ·
I gave up on trying to rivet my scope mount on my Polish night vision rifle. I drilled and tapped for 6/32 screws and use the stove bolt type screws and red thread locker. The scope will cover them. The original rivets were domed head inside receiver.

Reactions: JeepFan
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.