AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here so hopefully this is the right place to post this. So I've been wanting to build an AK for a while now, so I went ahead and bought a Romanian MD 63 kit, but the thing is, I'm a broke son of a b****, so I didn't have enough for the Toth Tool Bolt cutters or any jigs.

So I was wondering, is there any way to do the front trunnion rivets with just a hammer or a press? I even thought of doing a screw build (even though I know I probably shouldn't) but all screw build sets are sold out everywhere.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I'm not rich. I bought my tooling over time. Building is not a race. Don't spend all your free time building the tools to build when you could save up a bit and buy a quality tool and build.

Another company (I forget the name) makes a similar set of bolt cutter rivet squeezer jaws, they are cast trash. The Toth Tools jaws are hardened steel. They can also be modified to do some rear trunnion and side scope rail rivets, unlike the trash copies. Yes, it will void any warranty to mod them. They are well overbuilt and mine have worked for more than a I would care to admit on a public forum.

Quality tools are worth it. Sometimes you can make your own and save. In this case I wouldn't. After finding the steel, making the tool, trial and error on wasted rivets, I just don't see the savings.

I use multiple Toth Tools. They are lifetime tools like what Craftsman hand tools used to be. You can also sell them and recoup some of you cost if you decide to get out of building.

I have not bought any tools from Toth for at least five years or more. They don't know me, I'm just a happy customer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not rich. I bought my tooling over time. Building is not a race. Don't spend all your free time building the tools to build when you could save up a bit and buy a quality tool and build.

Another company (I forget the name) makes a similar set of bolt cutter rivet squeezer jaws, they are cast trash. The Toth Tools jaws are hardened steel. They can also be modified to do some rear trunnion and side scope rail rivets, unlike the trash copies. Yes, it will void any warranty to mod them. They are well overbuilt and mine have worked for more than a I would care to admit on a public forum.

Quality tools are worth it. Sometimes you can make your own and save. In this case I wouldn't. After finding the steel, making the tool, trial and error on wasted rivets, I just don't see the savings.

I use multiple Toth Tools. They are lifetime tools like what Craftsman hand tools used to be. You can also sell them and recoup some of you cost if you decide to get out of building.

I have not bought any tools from Toth for at least five years or more. They don't know me, I'm just a happy customer.
That's what I was planning on doing. I wanted to do a screw build in the meantime, then slowly collect the required tools to press the rivets, but unfortunately the tapco screw build sets are sold out everywhere.

I know people say to stay away from screw builds, but I'd like to shoot it in the meantime while I wait to gather all the tools, as it would be a long while, most likely over a couple months.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
It is your build, your money, your time and your choices.

Those Tapco sets are sold out because they are out of business in their past form and because nobody does screw builds anymore. You still can do a screw build by sourcing your materials from other vendors.

It is the worst way to build your kit. I'd highly recommend and encourage you to not do a screw built AK.

I'd also encourage you to stick around, ask questions and learn. The members here are overly helpful and as a longtime homebuilder myself I love helping others get started in the building hobby.

Do some searching around the Forum and never be afraid to ask questions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is your build, your money, your time and your choices.

Those Tapco sets are sold out because they are out of business in their past form and because nobody does screw builds anymore. You still can do a screw build by sourcing your materials from other vendors.

It is the worst way to build your kit. I'd highly recommend and encourage you to not do a screw built AK.

I'd also encourage you to stick around, ask questions and learn. The members here are overly helpful and as a longtime homebuilder myself I love helping others get started in the building hobby.

Do some searching around the Forum and never be afraid to ask questions.
Thanks tremendously for the help. I've built numerous guns in the past, VMACs, 1911s, etc. but AKs always seemed the hardest, but I decided just to go for it. I enjoy the challenge.

And yeah I agree, screw builds are a no go, especially with a good kit. I was just thinking temporarily and was letting my excitement and anticipation get the best of me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Built mine off these specs several years ago. Works for me with no problems. Still work fine. I believe that I paid about $16.00 for these with a coupon. I fasten them in a vise so I can use them one handed. (Saw that on another members post.) Gives much better control of the squeezeing process. My 2 Rubles worth.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote "I'm a broke son of a b****, so I didn't have enough for the Toth Tool Bolt cutters or any jigs."
Sooner or later you going to haft to spend some money on tools for your build, there is a book called "build your own AK/AKM tooling kit" but some tools required to
make the tools are expensive like a metal lathe and milling machine. You could make the rivet fixture baseplate and rivet punch tool with a good drill press...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Yep that's the plan. That's why I didn't feel like spending hundreds of jigs that I'd use once.
That was my plan, one or two then done. Back then nobody told me how addictive building was. So fast forward ten plus years and I'm still building AK kits and have branched off into others firearm builds. I hardly ever buy premade AKs anymore.

It's hard to justify the tools you need for just one build. You can sell the tools after and get back some your investment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That was my plan, one or two then done. Back then nobody told me how addictive building was. So fast forward ten plus years and I'm still building AK kits and have branched off into others firearm builds. I hardly ever buy premade AKs anymore.

It's hard to justify the tools you need for just one build. You can sell the tools after and get back some your investment.
I was actually planning on getting an FFL 07/SOT 02 soon. I kinda put it off because I spent most of what I could spend on this build, and times have been tough, not to mention my medical issues that have taken a toll over my job, let alone my entire lively hood. It's hard when you feel young, but your body fails on you.

I went ahead and ordered the trigger guard rivet jig because I had enough that I could spare for it. I'm planning on making my own rivet jaws for bolt cutters, which @Gillan2.0 had linked. If that fails, then I'll fork over the cash required for the Toth Tool bolt cutter jaws. I'm new to AK building, so we'll see where this lands. All I can say is that I'm excited!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts