AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've had my Riley Defense RAK47 for a few months now and i've already put around 2,500 rounds through it but I'm looking to swap out the cast hammer for a Romanian milled hammer I just got. The back of the Bolt Carrier has already formed to the shape of the stock hammer where it kept hitting every time it cycled and I am just wondering if it is too late to replace the Riley hammer with the Romanian hammer since it looks like the Romanian hammer has a slightly different angle where the Bolt Carrier will hit. I know a little deformation in the bolt carrier is normal but I don't know if it would be bad and hurt it if I swapped out the hammers and deformed it even more to the shape of the new hammer I got. There's nothing wrong with the old hammer but I just wanted to swap it out for the Romanian part anyway. Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey guys I've had my Riley Defense RAK47 for a few months now and i've already put around 2,500 rounds through it but I'm looking to swap out the cast hammer for a Romanian milled hammer I just got. The back of the Bolt Carrier has already formed to the shape of the stock hammer where it kept hitting every time it cycled and I am just wondering if it is too late to replace the Riley hammer with the Romanian hammer since it looks like the Romanian hammer has a slightly different angle where the Bolt Carrier will hit. I know a little deformation in the bolt carrier is normal but I don't know if it would be bad and hurt it if I swapped out the hammers and deformed it even more to the shape of the new hammer I got. There's nothing wrong with the old hammer but I just wanted to swap it out for the Romanian part anyway. Thanks.
Is there something wrong with the factory hammer?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No there is nothing wrong with it. The rifle came preinstalled with a Tapco G2 trigger set and it is doing just fine. I just want to round out and smooth the hard angles on the new hammer so that the bolt carrier cycles more smoothly, but I did not want to do it on the stock hammer in case I mess up. So I bought this Romanian hammer so that I can have a hammer to test on, and since its milled it'll make the internals a little more durable. I just don't know if it'll be bad putting it in the AK since it'll deform the Bolt Carrier more since it has to form to the new shape of this Romanian hammer.
Is there something wrong with the factory hammer?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
American hammers are harder than foreign ones. I replaced the American hammer in my arsenal with a Bulgarian hammer since the American hammer was smashing the back of the bolt carrier.

The issue was that the Bulgarian hammer was a full auto one. This required some slight modification, but nothing a file couldn’t help with.

If the Romanian hammer is a full auto hammer, you may need to file some of the face off it so the bolt carrier can slide over it With ease while it cycles.

Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! This was really helpful. The description of the hammer from Gunbroker said it was a semi auto hammer so I should be okay. Since my first post I took a dremel to the hammer and smoothed out the hard angles so the carrier can ride over it more smoothly. I did not know it is not as hard as the American trigger until I saw your comment so thanks again because now I think i'm going to install the Romanian hammer since its better quality and won't be so hard on the carrier.
American hammers are harder than foreign ones. I replaced the American hammer in my arsenal with a Bulgarian hammer since the American hammer was smashing the back of the bolt carrier.

The issue was that the Bulgarian hammer was a full auto one. This required some slight modification, but nothing a file couldn’t help with.

If the Romanian hammer is a full auto hammer, you may need to file some of the face off it so the bolt carrier can slide over it With ease while it cycles.

Good luck!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks! This was really helpful. The description of the hammer from Gunbroker said it was a semi auto hammer so I should be okay. Since my first post I took a dremel to the hammer and smoothed out the hard angles so the carrier can ride over it more smoothly. I did not know it is not as hard as the American trigger until I saw your comment so thanks again because now I think i'm going to install the Romanian hammer since its better quality and won't be so hard on the carrier.

Good luck!
Good choice and best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts