AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing a ricochet link here and remembering other videos I've seen on the internet of people being hit, and near misses....

I have to know.

How come no one ever gets hurt by a ricochet at Knob Creek?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Because 1) the "hard" targets (automobiles and such) are placed at a pretty considerable distance, and 2) most of the ricochets deflect up and away. Watch the tracers during the night shoot, and you'll see. You can also tell by all the little fires that start up in the trees to the sides of the firing line during dry years...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have seen plenty of jacket frags hit spectators during the subgun matches at the Creek. These spectators will be 15 to 30 yards BEHIND the shooter! Minor cuts and scrapes are the only injury that I have experienced, but they are very careful and require even spectaters to wear eye and hearing protection.

I have not personally witnessed anyone get hit by a ricochet on the main line, but it is pretty interesting to watch where those tracers go after making contact with the ground, targets, etc. It certainly has made me more careful about where and what I shoot at!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Funny that you've brought this up. I've actually seen a couple of people get injured by richochets at the creek. One, a guy was shooting a steel target with a subgun... round bounced back and hit him in the belly. He squeezed the bullet out of his gut like a pimple... it was just under the skin.

There are some bullet pockmarks on the wall behind the firing line. Did you ever wonder how those got there? I doubt there were many firing squad executions :d

I think there have actually been a couple of people killed there. I know for a fact that one little girl got killed when a 20mm cannon fell on her...

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Gun Wielding Maniac said:
I think there have actually been a couple of people killed there. I know for a fact that one little girl got killed when a 20mm cannon fell on her...
You know that for a fact eh? Funny because I was standing 25 feet away when it happened and it was a mini gun set up with three mini guns on a mount. The young girl that was killed by that setup was Rachel Bigley age 13. She was firing the triple Miniguns when all of the sudden guns shifted hard making the entire setup stand up and fall over backwards. In that process the corner of the mount struck her in the forehead killing her instantly. Back then there was no fence at KC just an orange construction plastic barrier, I was standing right next to the barrier and I hit the deck. When the gun went verticle it shot off its remaining rounds through the coragated roof over the firing line, from the belt twisting it broke the links and fired off the remaining rounds into the air. I got trampled on as many tried to run but alot of people hit the deck. by the time I got up they had placed a piece of carpet over her body, it was a very sad day. this was in 1995 on friday and the range was closed on friday but at the request of her parents the shoot continued sat and sun.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You know that for a fact eh? Funny because I was standing 25 feet away when it happened and it was a mini gun set up with three mini guns on a mount.
*shrugs* No need to be a smartass. So I got the type of gun wrong... so what? The incident, otherwise, was exactly as I recalled. :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts