AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there you are. TSHTF and now you open up the 5 gal buckets of rice and beans. But how are you going to fix em? Boiled beans will work but be pretty bland. So what's you favorite recipe to make with your stored goods?

Just wondering
Thanks
Old Sarge

·
Registered
21,770 Posts
Sauce is da baws..

Barbeque sauce for a hearty meal.. or dress it up southwestern with some salsa.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
I'd love to see some recipes, and what type of beans you guys use.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Chicken. :grin: I now have about 20 chickens and for now 6 rabbits.

I make my rice with simple black pepper , 1 onion and few carrots and boil it all together with the chicken liver and gizzard. when the rice is almost done I stuff it all inside a whole fryer chicken and pour the left over water in the pan with the chicken. The rice ends up taste'N almost like boudan. pretty simple taste great.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JoeMomma said:
I'd love to see some recipes, and what type of beans you guys use.
Hi Joe
That was part of the reason I asked the original question. I would have to believe that eating just plain old boiled beans or rice would give you flavor burnout fast. We had a lot of different menus in the MRE's and to this day there are some that I can't even stand to look at, let alone try and eat.

That being said. I like the Pinto's and Red beans also a few of the small white beans (Navy Beans) for baking. I don't store any volume yet as I am just getting started on this. But I do use these three. Thing is all the recipes call for more then just dry storage stuff.

Just for you Joe here is one of my favorites.

First thing I have to do is figure out if its going to be Western or Cajun. Western make it Pintos and Cajun makes it Red Beans.

1, Measure out the beans you need. I normally use about a half a pound of dried beans (1 to 1 1/2 cups). Place them in a bowl and cover with clean water. Let them soak over night in the frige or at least 8 hours. I was told that you can parboil them but I have never done it.

2, Poor off the bean soaking water and rinse the beans.

3, Coarsely chop up one small onion, one stick of celery (if you like it, if I use it I chop it as fine as I can), three strips of bacon cut in peices (bacon ends work great or use salt pork if you have it), a couple of cloves of garlic, one or two jalapeno peppers(if you like)I like to finely chop these. Sauté it all up in the bacon grease. Once they are sated up the way you like.

4, Add you beans from rinse basket and cover with enough clean clear water to cover the mixture by an inch (a little more if your going to add anything mid way thorough). Bring to a boil.

5, Reduce heat and bring to a slow simmer. Add three or four table spoons of Pinto Bean seasoning mix (Wall-Mart item. Its a buck or two for a big jar of it in the Mexican food isle. If making the Cajun version I add some Tonys). Stir it all up good. Add a couple of Bay leaf's for good measures.

Now is time that you have to decide if the beans are going to be a side dish or a main course. If a side dish you can omit adding any thing and just simmer for two or more hours (till the beans have the firm ness that you like or add a little meat for flavor). If a Main dish move on to step six.

6, Cut and add sausage as needed. As thick as you like them, I use a angled cut so they look longer in the mix. For Western beans any sort of smoked sausage should work. For Cajun I use Andouille sausage. You could also use a Ham hock or two if you had them or wanted to go that direction. Simmer for two hours or till the beans have the firmness that you like.

7, During the last half hour or so of the bean simmering, boil up a pot of white rice. As a main dish the beans and sausage can be served over a scoop of rice and it makes a meal.

I have used this recipe for a year or so and never had a complaint. It makes a lot so you may find you will have some left overs. Put em in the fridge and micro wave em the next day. They taste even better the next day.

Some warmed up tortillas go well with the Western beans. Man after writing that up I find myself hungry for bowl of Red Beans and Rice... :doh:

Anyone else got a recipe they care to share? :dance:

Thanks
Old Sarge

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I store dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans). I use them for making hummus or can use them in a curry. They can be sprouted to provide some green or to unlock more nutrients.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
This was a good thread idea.
I think a lot of people (myself included) buy long term staple foods or other prep items and don't bother to give it much thought beyond that.
It's better to have something on hand and not need it than to need something and not have it, but you might as well not even spend the money on it if you aren't going to learn how to use it.

That being said, I like to store vacuum sealed packs of different types of dry seasonings ("Accent", "Mrs. Dash" etc.) in with my pails of rice, beans, etc.
Not quite as gourmet as some of the other ideas mentioned so far, but at least I got the basics, and it's easy to cook when you're already exhausted from other activities.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Corrosive said:
This was a good thread idea.
I think a lot of people (myself included) buy long term staple foods or other prep items and don't bother to give it much thought beyond that.
It's better to have something on hand and not need it than to need something and not have it, but you might as well not even spend the money on it if you aren't going to learn how to use it.

That being said, I like to store vacuum sealed packs of different types of dry seasonings ("Accent", "Mrs. Dash" etc.) in with my pails of rice, beans, etc.
Not quite as gourmet as some of the other ideas mentioned so far, but at least I got the basics, and it's easy to cook when you're already exhausted from other activities.

SAVE THE MRS. DASH FOR WHEN IT GETS DOWN TO TOAD FROGS AND CATS. :grin:

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the beans! :smile:

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Corrosive said:
Anybody know how long Tabasco will actually keep?
I recently had a few of the small bottles that come in MREs that were at least 8 years old, and they tasted just fine when I put them on some eggs.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Man I was raised on beans and cornbread and I'm still not tired of em. My red beans are pretty simple. Some sort bacon ie salt pork, ham hock, or plain sliced bacon, salt and pepper and a couple of whole jalapenos. I cook my blackeyed peas the same way. One thing different I have tried that goes really good in beans is Dillo Dust.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
:peep:

·
Registered
407 Posts
When it comes to beans I like cooking up Navy beans, or Great Northern the Boston style. Usually adding dehydrated onion, salt, black pepper, dry mustard powder, and molasses.

All the items added to the beans store well for long periods of time.

Any cured or fresh meat can be added as available.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts