AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m pretty sure this kit I got has Rhodesian parts mixed in, though I am not very knowledgeable in this matter. My question is, how hard would it be to match original Rhodesian style paint. I am not very artistic is why I ask. Will I go to hell for just scrubbing all the parts with gas, and painting it with alumahyde? I was planning on building the kit for experience sake and then selling it to my older brother, as he wanted an FAL, but now that the kit might be Rhodesian, I kinda don’t want to ruin any of its historic value per say. I’m pretty sure the kit is just an assorted bag of parts, I got it from Sarco, so I don’t really know if it’s significance would be the same as an mostly rhodie kit? Here are some pics. I suppose I could ask on the FAL forum, but thought I might try here first

Reactions: Boomah

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
I'd ping Larry Vickers or Ian McCollum on on this if you're interested in authenticity. They're both Rhodesia aficionados and Vickers especially is an expert on Rhodie FALs. He's on this site and both of them are very good at personally responding to RFI's.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha fam

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Definitely Rody baby poop paint you got there.

Now you need some of those embarrassingly short shorts and a floppy hat to go with.

Post your pics over at the FALfiles, they will go nuts. There is a guy there who sells Rody baby poop paint kits.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Reactions: intrepid04

·
Registered
855 Posts
do you have a picture of the magazine well??

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You don't have to email anyone, man.

That lower with the electro-stenciled serial number with “RA” prefix confirms that your parts were definitely in Rhodesian Army service.
Coooooll. Lucked out and got them rhodie parts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
saigaman972 is who you should contact.

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/123-fn-fal-discussion/177534-restoration-two-rhodesian-fn-fals-mother-sons.html

He had matched Rhodesian camo before.

Link where he was selling paint kits on another forum.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386209

I've been temped to get some furniture painted to look Rhodesian for my Portuguese G3s.
Thx a bunch, when I get a receiver and start building it, I will inquire with him about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MPiKM-72

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
How long ago did you acquire this kit from Sarco?

Reactions: scottyb

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Certainly a Rhodie with the RA-prefix serial number, but where it was manufactured is of interest as well. [I'm not enough of a FAL expert to tell from the lower receiver, but I'm sure others are.] Every type of FAL was used by the Rhodesian forces. So, do the original or RA-numbered bolt/carrier sernos match the lower? What sort of shape is the barrel in? These factors will influence the value. My Rhodie FAL was a SA R1 and the kit didn't have any camo paint on it, so it was built it as a garrison rifle. Barrel was in surprisingly good shape (most Rhodies are pretty shot-out).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How long ago did you acquire this kit from Sarco?
2 months ago, then they ran out. It’s their metric jungle kits( cuz the parts are kinda worn and rusty I guess)They don’t come with barrels, just a bag of lower receiver parts,a flash hider, handguards,etc. I don’t really know if you could call it a “kit” it’s really just a lower receiver parts bag

That is why I’m kinda thinking it’s a bunch of mismatched parts, cuz I don’t remember seeing any electropencil marks on the bolt carrier. I am an FAL newb tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MPiKM-72

·
Super Moderator
25,688 Posts
It should be a cool and worthwhile project. Talk to saigaman972, he can really help you out.

·
Super Moderator
25,688 Posts
Forgot to ask...what receiver are you planning on using?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Forgot to ask...what receiver are you planning on using?
Well since 922r is technically still a thing, I’m going to go with a type 1 DSA receiver ( type 1 cuz it seems to be the earliest, and from what I read a bunch of rhodie guns were type 1). I already bought a barrel setup from them, so I figured why not buy the receiver from them. The impel receivers on gunbroker were like $800, and I’m a poor guy.
I’m aware people shit on dsa sometimes, but it’s really the only company that come up with the parts I wanted, and I don’t want the atf to shoot my dog cuz I was short 1 922r part

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
I'm comparing your lower to my R1 and I don't think its Suid Afrika-made, looks more like my stg58, but I can't say for sure - easier to tell with a pic of the other side. Nothing wrong with DSA receivers, especially if you can find them on sale for $250 like the last one I bought. Helped offset getting hosed for $700 on the long out-of-production forged DSA R1 receiver I needed for my R1 build.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I just secured a deal on a Rhodie parts kit that is over 20 years old so thanks for the info on what receiver it needs.
If it's original Rhody it's a lot older than 20 years.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts