AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am a new member of the forum and I recently got my first AK (also my first rifle). I have always been into guns but recently got into AKs and purchased one in a panic buy as I live in Virginia and Gov Northam is threatening to ban "Assault weapons".

Anyways, I have made some upgrades to my RH-10, but now I am trying to put a different muzzle brake on the rifle as the bird cage just doesn't look right on a AK (it belongs on an AR). What I didn't notice on the rifle is that the bird cage seems to be canted a bit, even though it is tightened all the way down. I figured it was just cheaply made and incorrect. I was trying to install a tanker style muzzle brake on the rifle and to my suprise, it was also canted. Should I just lock tight it at the right position? Or should I take it to a gun smith and have it silver soldered to the right position Or something else. The brake is the correct threads and is made for a non combloc AK in that it has the notch for the locking piece on the front sight.

Anyways, what should I do?

I can provide pictures if needed.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I gotta stop you right there.

You cannot be a purist and own a RH-10.
"the bird cage just doesn't right on a AK"

Any muzzle device looks right on a RH-10 since RH-10 is not a AK/AKM. It falls in a category of it's own.

The problem with timing a muzzle device on this rifle is a big one since there is no wall or plunger to actually help in timing the device.
On all other normal ones there is a plunger (on the front sight tower or the gas block combo - for shorter barrel variants) and a receiving notch on the device.

RH-10/MH-10 did not incorporate such a design.

Probably a crush washer would be your best bet if you don't want to pin or weld the device.

I would advise you to rethink the length of the barrel and maybe shorten it. Make it a legal 16" by pin and weld a preferred muzzle device on it. Maybe a 13.5 - 14.5 inch barrel and a device which will get you to the no headache 16" requirement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wouldn't consider myself a purist. just my opinion that it doesn't look right lol. thanks for the advice though will consider doing this.

·
Registered
983 Posts

Any muzzle device looks right on a RH-10 since RH-10 is not a AK/AKM. It falls in a category of it's own.

The problem with timing a muzzle device on this rifle is a big one since there is no wall or plunger to actually help in timing the device.
On all other normal ones there is a plunger (on the front sight tower or the gas block combo - for shorter barrel variants) and a receiving notch on the device.

Probably a crush washer would be your best bet if you don't want to pin or weld the device.

I would advise you to rethink the length of the barrel and maybe shorten it. Make it a legal 16" by pin and weld a preferred muzzle device on it. Maybe a 13.5 - 14.5 inch barrel and a device which will get you to the no headache 16" requirement.
I have surplus wood and tech sights on my RH10 lmao. It's a complete basket case but I love it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could I see a picture? Lol it’s my first ak so I didn’t know much before I bought it. I’m just glad I didn’t buy some cast parts bs. I want to either get a zastava or one of Brandon herreras akg-47s (once they start making more) for now I’m just gonna do a bunch to the rh-10. So far I put Russian blood furniture from sovietstocks.com, a tritium front sight post and windage drum from tru glo, a foster has rubberized grip, a single point sling mount plate (I use it for 2 point), I got rid of the shepherds crook and got a retainer plate. Once I put the muzzle break on that’s all I really want to do to it, maybe a better trigger? Maybe some optics? Oh and btw I am going to do a crush washer thank for the advice dixy2k.

·
Banned
229 Posts
The RH10 can be saved. Lol it now has a red dot and ALG trigger
Barrel chop down to 13.xx with a AKML flash hider pinned it actually shoots very nice and flat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah nice! Looks really cool! Yea I think eventually down the road if I get my tax stamp I’ll SBR it. Maybe I’ll do the minimum 16 with a booster on the end or something though. But yea I want to get a better ak Eventually. Like I said I panic bought because of governor blackface Northam. I like the furniture on yours. I could show you a picture of mine so far if you’d like.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
M10/RH-10 begs to be chopped down a bit. Add tech sights or TWS cover and rear iron sights and you're GTG.

I heard from a few people these rifles are overgassed which strengthens the argument for chopping the barrel down a bit.

Think of it as a long barrel Draco.
It's easier to SBR this one compared to Draco with improvised buttstock.

·
Registered
983 Posts
That makes perfect sense.
Are you challenging me to a grecko roman oil match in the nude?

I mean, we are both from CA. I can't afford the airfare bacl from FL because I'm a gov employee, but if you give me 2 weeks I'll ride my bicycle back for the match of all matches.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
No, no, no. By all means use the bike. Save the world.
I'll warm the oil and get some rose petals too.

·
Registered
983 Posts
No, no, no. By all means use the bike. Save the world.
I'll warm the oil and get some rose petals too.
I agree, riding the bike is so Gretta Thunberg. No need to contribute to even more pollution when I can save the clock tower by myself.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts

I'm glad someone else said it, lol.

But jam nut is the solution. It's a weird setup just to be legal at 16", and pretty much meant be shortened as others have said.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Anyone know if the barrels on these RH 10s need a journal cut into them if going to shorten the barrel for say an ak 74 style brake to maintain 16.25"? Can the barrel be cut and the just threaded for a 14mm to 24 mm adapter?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Anyone know if the barrels on these RH 10s need a journal cut into them if going to shorten the barrel for say an ak 74 style brake to maintain 16.25"? Can the barrel be cut and the just threaded for a 14mm to 24 mm adapter?
Good question. Can OP or another owner measure the barrel OD behind the threads?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yes annular cutter for 14mm then I would use a 14mm to 24mm adapter for the 74 brake, time it and weld together and to barrel. After I cut and crown the barrel to have an overall length brake included of 16.25".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts