AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1958 KBK Polish parts kit with an original polish type 3 threaded barrel. I ordered a Tortort receiver to complete the build.
However, I was thinking about having my builder chop the front stub off the new receiver and then weld on the original front stub. The kit can with the torch cut pieces of the receiver which are beyond repair, but the front stub can still be salvaged. My builder is Lewman Arms and they specialize in rewelding MG42s so I’m confident in their craftsmanship to do this.
I am not sure if going this route would add any collectibility to the rifle or if it’s just not practical. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
^^^ new would be my choice also.

If it was a rare PLO front end kit with OG barrel still installed, I might go to reweld.

At this point in collecting the more common parts kits, with the very accurate Tortort product (proven and available) along with the available etchings for details - it's the way to go IMO. Most Polish Type 3s were hot blued really beautifully, and thats tough to keep on a reweld, not to mention lining up the lightning cut from 2 different machining processes, metal types, strength, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

If it was a rare PLO front end kit with OG barrel still installed, I might go to reweld.

At this point in collecting the more common parts kits, with the very accurate Tortort product (proven and available) along with the available etchings for details - it's the way to go IMO. Most Polish Type 3s were hot blued really beautifully, and thats tough to keep on a reweld, not to mention lining up the lightning cut from 2 different machining processes, metal types, strength, etc.
Do you have any recommendations for etching? I contacted 2 river arms a few weeks ago and they weren’t taking anymore work due to a location change.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'd save as much of the original receiver as possible.

There are a lot of collectors out there like myself, who will value a rifle with an original front stub grafted to a new rear receiver section much higher than one with a whole new receiver, and will value one with original front and rear stubs and a new center section higher still. The highest values, of course, would be for one with a clean single or double saw cut, where the whole receiver can be saved and restored.

Looking where the market and the values for these early, original barrel, AK rifles is going, the future value and investment potential of something with an original front stub justifies the extra cost of a chop and reweld vs. using a whole new receiver.

If this were my rifle project, I would be looking for other usable Polish receiver sections so the whole receiver could be rewelded original Polish, or whatever else might be compatable....I don't know if something like Hungarian or Bulgarian would work.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Talk about a Frankenbuild, weld a Hungarian to a Bulgarian to a Pole.

I bet it would be the ultimate BFPU look.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I mean no polish KBK AKs were even imported with the original barrel. However, I do have a KBK barrel that was imported back in 2006. So this build is as authentic as possible which is why I was even considering rewelding the stubs to the tortort. But your right. This isnt like a russian type 1 or 2....so maybe its not worth it.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have a couple of single saw cut polish T3 rec/matching kits, one of them has matching ser/no LHG and never fired a round.... perfectly new with a hacksaw cut through middle. Worth quite a bit, for sure, but will never sell either. They stay as kits, because I just cant think about them being ground on, welded through 3rd hole, etc. Then there are the barrels which I dont have and know that each one will set me back an easy 1k to 1.5k --
So, for me, to achieve that level of "as close to orig/perfection as possible" is going to be so expensive with the builders capable of pulling this off perfectly years down the road at an even higher cost (1k to build currently). that I just admit "defeat" in this round of the collectors d*ck measuring contest.
By me building on a Tortort, it can be "undone" later if need be without destroying altering any parts and I get to shoot and show off the rifle during my last remaining years of life.

Reactions: scottyb

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I get it. But it comes down to cost.

A usable polish back half sold last time for $1000. And then you need to weld it to the front. So $4-600. Your up over 2k and haven’t even left the reciever yet.

And that’s years of waiting too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts