AK Rifles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waiting several months, I finally got my AK74 style muzzle brake from Krebs custom.

http://www.krebscustom.com/CustomParts.html

It is an absolute beauty. The brake comes it two styles: one for 30 caliber cartridges and one more appropriate to .22 caliber cartridges. Mine is for thirty caliber.

The finish of the brake is an almost perfect match to the painted finish of my Arsenal SA M7 A1. Being machined for 24 mm threads, the brake will only fit a rifle with the AK74 style front sight base. I believe it will also NOT fit a Romanian AK74, because that rifle uses 22mm threads. Krebs sells an adapter to allow the brake to fit the smaller 14x1 threaded barrels. As I did not need the adapter, I did not order it, so any questions about how it mounts should be directed to Krebs.

I was pleasantly surprised by the fit of this brake: most aftermarket muzzle brakes and the like have a degree of "play" or "wobble" to them. Indeed, Global Trades #A-560 brake was so wobbly that the bullets hit the inside of it! Not this brake: This brake was so precisely manufactured that it "bottomed out" EXACTLY at the point where the locking plunger snaps into place. That sucker fits TIGHT, and will continue to do so.

I literally could not have done a better job of hand-fitting this brake myself!

Obviously, I have no way of knowing if every brake fits every rifle with this degree of precision, but I can honestly say it fits my SA M7 A1 with less play than the original flash hider that came with the weapon!

I should point out a couple of things: this brake is a two-piece design with what looks like a steel washer in the center. As the washer has gaps on either side, I contacted Brian at Krebs to ask about this. He emphasized that the gaps are supposed to be there, and that this center washer is permanently held in place. Don't try to disassemble it!

Just in case anyone is wondering, this is NOT the design with the zigzag gas ports. That is a different design.

I haven't tried the brake at the range yet. I have no reason to believe that it works differently from any other muzzle brake. I have fired weapons before with this type of brake, and they do seem to hold the muzzle on target better than a plain muzzle.

BTW: For anyone that's interested, the bayonet fits the rifle with the brake in place, too!

All in all, I'm very pleased with this brake and I did not expect it to be as well made as it is!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is it chrome lined?
It doesn't look like it from the pic.

I know the AK-USA 74/103 style brake is and I think its about the same price or a little bit more.

AK-USA also has an exact chrome lined copy of the Romanian brake for anybody needing one.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AK-Joe said:
Is it chrome lined?
It doesn't look like it from the pic.

I know the AK-USA 74/103 style brake is and I think its about the same price or a little bit more.

AK-USA also has an exact chrome lined copy of the Romanian brake for anybody needing one.
No, it's not chrome-lined.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE 05/18/09.

I had forgotten all about this thread, but three years and several thousand rounds later I thought I might chime in with some further observations.

The finish on the very first brake I ever ordered was slightly darker than subsequent Krebs brakes that I ordered. I consider that one somewhat of an "accident" because later ones were slightly lighter in color and not a perfect match to the paint of the rifles.

The brakes eventually do become wobbly with use, just like a ComBloc manufactured brake.

Since the introduction of K-VAR's new US-made long collar brake, I have removed all my Krebs brakes in favor of either the K-VAR brake or genuine Bulgarian short collar brakes.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
None of the brakes really do much for recoil. What they do tame is the tendency of the muzzle to flip and wobble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts