AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dug it out of Mom's basement. Remington model 34 bolt action. Manufactured 1932-35. Dad gave it to me after I graduated from my Daisy 840. Still in pretty good shape. Damn, I sure put the rounds through it when I was a kid. Makes me smile.

·
Premium Member
13,070 Posts
I too have that same rifle now in my care. Dad used it in his marksmanship class in high school in the 30's. I stumbled across a certificate in it's original mailing tube when going through his things.
The certificate is from the NRA stating his passing their testing criteria for marksmanship using his Model 34. He went on to WWll and the Navy where they would place him on the point of the
bow with a Garand to shoot at the spikes on mines to blow them up so the ship could pass safely. I sure miss him and his wisdom and assurances. Lost him in 2006 but the rifle will remain well
oiled and preserved to be passed on to my son along with the history and certificate from the NRA. Thank you for posting, brought many memories back to me...TRAAK's

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
My first rifle was a Remington 572. Dad bought it for me. I was a dead shot with that thing. So much fun.
about 10 years ago... jeez really? has it been that long? ... about 10 years ago I was shooting cans of store brand soda pop. I'm not sure exactly what happened but it went like this.
Pulled the trigger, heard a light pop.
Pumped the next round in, pulled the trigger and this time, pow!
The Action bar had broken the forearm slid back and the excess pressure blew out the ejection port and bent all the internals.
The only explanation i have is that it might have been a squib load lodged in the barrel.

I have that .22 Remington 572 hanging above my mantle now. I see it every morning, when i drink my coffee. reminds me of my dad and my brother.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for posting your memories guys. My rifle has been drilled and tapped for a scope. However, I don't recall ever seeing it with a scope.

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Got a kick out of seeing this thread. I was just reunited with the first rifle I ever shot, my Dad's Marlin 39A. It was made in 1941, just before peacetime production halted. Never been shot much, case finish is at least 95%, bluing is almost perfect. Can't wait to get to the range.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fortunately, my first rifle and I have never been separated except for my tour of duty in the Navy. It's an 1898 Krag that was given to me over 50 years ago by the local American Legion post commander when I was 13 or 14 for being their bugler at military graveside services.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts