AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a modification that I created to take better advantage of what accuracy potential the AK may have with a receiver sight. First I want to say, If you are skeptical about or don't think my idea will work, simply don't do it. I have it in use on 3 of my AK's and so far it has worked great. I use AR15 windage adjustable sights because I like being to adjust windage with the big click detented adjustment knob. You can use the sight of your choice but height from the receiver cover is important. It is preferable to try to keep the original AK sight height if possible. I bought an extra receiver cover and recoil assembly for the rifles that I put this mod on. If I decide to sell the guns later on, the buyer may want the gun original, so I can convert it back to the original rear open sight, and recoil assembly in a matter of seconds. I use small countersunk screws and epoxy to mount the sight to the receiver cover. In try to mount the receiver sight in a position so that when looking through the aperature, you see normal open front and rear sight alignment before removing the rear open sight. The receiver cover to be used for this must be made to fit the receiver very well. The edge that fits in the rear "trunion" groove must be absolutely flat and not be able to rock sideways. The sides of the cover near the back must fit the receiver snugly, but not tight. Without the recoil spring assembly installedassembly installed, you should be able to fully seat the cover down with no more than light finger pressure, and have no side to side movement. Next, you need to install a "U" shaped piece of 1MM sheet metal over the bottom edge of the locking button hole in the receiver cover. The pic shows what I am talking about. This piece should be epoxied in place. This acts as a bearing surface for the modified locking button on the recoil assembly to push down on. The side profile of the locking button needs to be cut or filed so that it has a ramp on the bottom as in the pic. I measure about 3/32" from the bottom of the button and scribe a line from that point to where the button intersects the body of the recoil cover lock assembly. As the recoil spring pushes back, the ramp on the bottom of the locking button pushes down and back on the receiver cover. Providing there is no side to side movement in your cover, it cannot help but return to the same place when it is reassembled on the rifle. The target was shot with my Yugo M90 with cheap (relatively) American Eagle 55 gr. FMJ. I shot a five shot group, marked the holes, removed and replaced the receiver cover and shot another five shot group. It was shot at 50 yds. with extreme spread of the 10 shots being 1.42"

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Thats really frigging clever. I hated the rear sight cover arangement on my Norinco hunter enough to sell the rifle.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Outstanding! I spent 2 hours yesterday milling an aluminum housing for the rear sight to be epoxied in place. The vise let go and ruined it. This is a simpler and nicer set up. Is the base steel or aluminum, epoxied or welded on?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Return to zero receiver cover

vz, of the three I did, one is aluminum and the other two are steel. I bought a couple of the AR15 UTG sights that Copes sells for $30 and cut off the elevation post. I used a grinder to cut a rough channel, then dremeled and filed it to final shape. After drilling and tapping two small holes, I mounted them on the cover with small countersunk (I used 6-48) screws, I filled the gaps around the sight with epoxy. You don't want to cut the channel too deep because you need to leave enough thickness in the sight base to tap threads. I did not put a channel at all on the cover for my M90 and I only had to adjust the front sight up a turn and a half to zero it at 50 yds. Just remember to fit the recoil spring/cover lock to where the only part if it that touches the receiver cover is the ramp or sloped angle where you modified it. If you have the skills to weld to sheet metal and use steel base sights, welding them on the receiver cover would probably be easier and stronger than screws and epoxy.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
rj308 thats awesome! I have to try that. Where did you get that sight? Thats the exact one I want to use.

I've been wanting an ak with peep sights.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Something like this is on my to-do list as well, and you have given me a headstart.

Looks like it works, too.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Return to zero receiver cover

Thanks for the kind comments. Dr1553, I bought that sight from Copes. I believe they are called UTG AR15 sights. They come in a mount that is made to clamp on a picatinny rail. They are Chinese manufactured but are of very good quality. They are steel construction, cost is $30. I take the sight off of the mount and cut off the elevation post to mount it on the AK receiver cover. This is the 3rd gun that I put a receiver sight on.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sight

No. That one is a flip-up sight. The one for $29.99 is on the 5th page of AR15 parts. It is called M4/M16 complete match rear sight.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
This one.....gotcha. You just take it off the base. Looks like you rounded the sides also. Looks good. I'm gonna give that a shot on my Bulgy 74. Gotta get an extra top cover and recoil spring too.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sight

That's it. Just remember, you don't want the back of the recoil spring assembly bottoming out against the receiver cover inside/rear. The only point of contact with the receiver cover should be the ramped surface of the locking/release button. And if you use screws to mount the sight from the inside of the cover, make sure the heads are low-profile enough that they don't interfere with the recoil spring.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Damn!! That looks really good... :hail:

·
Registered
553 Posts
More pics please!! :grin: :hail:

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is something I have wanted to do for a long time. I ordered the above parts from Copes and put this puppy together. I used this sight, the M4/m16 match grade rear sight(http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=576), for $29.99 plus $7.95 shipping. After taking the components apart, I drilled and tapped the part I needed for two 8-32 low profile screws. I attached the peep site to the top cover. I may get it welded later for good measure. Next I worked on the recoil spring assembly. I did not cut or reshape the recoil button as much as was recommended in the initialing post. In fact, I only filed/dremeled a slight angled ramp to allow the recoil button to enter the top cover's hole with the sheet metal attached. I figured, you can take metal off, but you can't put it back. So, I went slow, filing and testing for fit. Anyway, my top cover was originally quite wobbly, now is rock solid! IMO, the fitting of the top cover is number "UNO" in importance. Get this right. The entire project hinges on a secure top cover. After repetitively removing and attaching the top cover from the gun, the sights come back to the same focus/zero every time. This is such a neat fix! I have not shot the gun yet to determine if it will hold zero after firing, but from the solid feel it has, I don't think there will be a problem. From my experiences with lever guns with rear peep sights, these are exactly where they need to be for accurate shooting with peep sights, close to the eye.

Advantages:
1.(You can see how this greatly extends the sight length from front sight to back back)

2.(the peep sight is low enough to co-witness with the original rear sight and the front sight)

3.(rear peep sight is located where it needs to be, close to the eye)

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Looks sweet. I have some questions though, I see that you put the ramp on the recoil lug to push the topcover down, does the recoil assy sit all the way to the rear of trunnion or does the receiver cover hold it forward some? It seems to me for the recoil lug to both sit at rear of trunnion and keep tension on the topcover that it must be fit perfectly. Was it difficult to get the fit properly? how many rds so far? I am wondering if having the recoil lug used to tighten tocover will distort the cover from recoil impact.

·
Registered
25 Posts
obiwanbonjovi said:
Looks sweet. I have some questions though, I see that you put the ramp on the recoil lug to push the topcover down, does the recoil assy sit all the way to the rear of trunnion or does the receiver cover hold it forward some? It seems to me for the recoil lug to both sit at rear of trunnion and keep tension on the topcover that it must be fit perfectly. Was it difficult to get the fit properly? how many rds so far? I am wondering if having the recoil lug used to tighten tocover will distort the cover from recoil impact.
The recoil assembly sits all the way to the rear of the trunion. This is the way I did it. There may be other ways. Anyway, after many filing and testing, it was still a very tight fit and the recoil assembly would not go all the way to the rear of the trunion. I did not want to file off more metal so I worked the charging handle hard a bunch of time. After working the charging handle a bunch of times it began to fit. The top cover looks the same, but I think the top cover deformed and hard fitted as it was the weakest metal.

I just returned from shooting the gun. I put about 30 rounds through it. One box of Wolf military classic and a half box of Monarch FMJ bullets. I shot from about 25 yards. I shot a few rounds from the hip, checking to ensure the top cover was attached ok, then fired a few aimed shots to check the zero. I moved the peep site one click, then fired the target below. The target has about 15 rounds on it, I pulled one shot low( by aiming low..I came up for air,was breathing ) but the shot was off. So far, the gun has held it's zero perfectly. I will continue to test the peep site on a larger range. I will also take off the factory rear site next.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts