AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get a feel for what the most common consumer/retail ammo sold is. Not counting the few surplus distributors.

I imagine an extended SHTF scenario ammo will come from major retail stores and distribution centers, so it would be wise to know which calibers are going to be found in the highest quantities.

I remember waiting in line at a gun shop to buy ammo after 9-11. It would be wise to own guns in the calibres that are most highly stocked in the retail system.


Obviously .22LR is #1, but I have no idea after that.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
A few years ago I read it was 30-06 and then 30-30. Don't know if that still holds true with the recent popularity of the AR-15 and M4geries, .223/5.56 might be at the top now. The local wallie-world carries quite a bit of the Federal 100 round bulk packs of 55gr. .223. Plus if you stop and think about it with most police depts. carrying ARs and the guard units using M16s of various types the most likely BFPUs for ammo and parts will be of the AR15/M16 type.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
regal said:
It would be wise to own guns in the calibres that are most highly stocked in the retail system.
Maybe not so wise. As I remember it, .223 and .308 vanished almost overnight, followed shortly after by 7mm Remington, .30-30, and .22LR.

Meanwhile, .45-70, 6.5x55, and 7.62x54R remained, if not plentiful, at least in stock almost everywhere.

Another advantage to an oddball caliber is, if any of your caches are discovered, at least it's not likely your own ammunition will be used against you.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I'm of the opinion that it doesnt matter what caliber you choose; as there wont be any available through your local stores, it will already be gone, you will not rec'v any from the mil or gov't, and what you have stocked, is what you got.......
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
BlackLight said:
I'm of the opinion that it doesnt matter what caliber you choose; as there wont be any available through your local stores, it will already be gone, you will not rec'v any from the mil or gov't, and what you have stocked, is what you got.......
Yep, it will disappear overnight. If the election of a democrat can cause ammo to disappear for months, think of what a real SHTF scenario would do. :roll:

And forget BFPU. That's a dream, IMO.

joedog
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,000 Posts
Grab enough to carry or stash. There will be no resupply if SHTF. If you aint got it, you are ass-out. The Common caliber musings in my opinion will be mute. The gun and caliber you run with is what you will have.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
TRX said:
Meanwhile, .45-70, 6.5x55, and 7.62x54R remained, if not plentiful, at least in stock almost everywhere. Another advantage to an oddball caliber is, if any of your caches are discovered, at least it's not likely your own ammunition will be used against you.

I knew there was a reason I was stockpiling 9,3x62 ! I just need to tell the wife it's a rational prep and that the oddball calibre is for rogue elephants in SHTF and so the ammo wont be used against us!
:grin:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,942 Posts
Depends on SHTF. If other nations exist they will smuggle it in for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ just like today in other parts of the planet. Did y'all forget your Lord of War types? Military calibers are illegal in many nations and in some guns are forbidden period, but somehow people get AKs, ARs, etc, etc, and the ammo & magazines to use it. When there is a demand there is a seller.

Global meltdown? Yeah then stuck with whatever you can reload, manufacture (somebody will figure it out), and have on hand or can find. I do not think technology will go back before the industrial revolution. There are to many individuals at all skill levels and expertise + equipment in this world for it to vanish. Somebody will salvage and cobble things together, and from there on out it will continue. Once again demand = innovation and sellers. Now I am not saying there won't be a dark age type thing, but I have given up on the concept that it will go down that bad. Suck would be a more appropriate outlook as it would for a time, and region to region will be different.

Then again it only took how long from combustion engine (not steam power) to flag on the moon? Once people get their shops together in order it will leap back. Heck even third world hell holes have machinist and IT people now a days.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
kaiservontexas said:
Depends on SHTF. If other nations exist they will smuggle it in for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ just like today in other parts of the planet. Did y'all forget your Lord of War types? Military calibers are illegal in many nations and in some guns are forbidden period, but somehow people get AKs, ARs, etc, etc, and the ammo & magazines to use it. When there is a demand there is a seller.

Global meltdown? Yeah then stuck with whatever you can reload, manufacture (somebody will figure it out), and have on hand or can find. I do not think technology will go back before the industrial revolution. There are to many individuals at all skill levels and expertise + equipment in this world for it to vanish. Somebody will salvage and cobble things together, and from there on out it will continue. Once again demand = innovation and sellers. Now I am not saying there won't be a dark age type thing, but I have given up on the concept that it will go down that bad. Suck would be a more appropriate outlook as it would for a time, and region to region will be different.

Then again it only took how long from combustion engine (not steam power) to flag on the moon? Once people get their shops together in order it will leap back. Heck even third world hell holes have machinist and IT people now a days.
Good points and well said. I agree.

joedog
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
If I can find the article I recently read in one of the gun rags, they stated that the 30-30 was still the number one center fire round sold.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
cfish said:
If I can find the article I recently read in one of the gun rags, they stated that the 30-30 was still the number one center fire round sold.
Please find that article and post the URL for credibility purposes, Cfish. I'm not doubting your word - I'd just like to know if that little factoid is legit-enough to use elsewhere (by me). Notice I said legit-enough. Good journalists will cite their sources in magazine articles. The surest sign of a hack is when someone writes an article and makes a lot of declarative statements and never divulge their sources. Its even even more important these days in our cyber community (hard to believe the word cyber is still valid these days) nowadays to take what you read online with a grain of salt. Basically anyone can say anything they want about anything they want and come off like an expert. I know I can trust you, Joe Momma, Joedog, and a few others.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
Tinker I'll try to find it. It may not be valid, if I remeber what the author was writting about his mentioning the 30-30 was just a side note. I'll have some time this weekend to look thru some of the mags. I'll post it if I find it. I was a bit skeptical myself.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
regal said:
Almost like these figures are secret from the public, but I smell conspiracy in everything.
Hey now, I'ma gonna keep my EYE on you, bwah! :wink:

Seriously though, I am the first to always cry conspiracy. What do we think the reason would be for the industry and government to keep a lid on those figures? Why would that be sensitive information? With all the other bullshit readily available on the internet, why can't I find some simple stats?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top