AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a post-ban AK with a broken thumbhole stock. Other than that, it's all original parts just as it was when it was imported. It looked like a MAK 90 when I bought it but, actually, the model on the reciever is "756s". You can tell the extra 7 was stamped on before the "56s" after production.

I've heard that it's ok to replace broken parts with parts from the original manufacturer without having to go through the whole 922r process of adding US made parts. It seems like there might be some gray area because it started life as a 56s and the importer had to turn it into a post-ban 756s. I would really like to avoid replacing my trigger group, muzzle device, magazine followers, etc with US parts.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows this for sure or has experience in a similar situation... but to avoid 922r... do I need to replace it with a thumbhole stock from another "756s" or am I allowed to just replace it with a normal stock and pistol grip from a 56s?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would just restore it to the original it is my belief that it was grandfathered in so it should not matter I would go to Polytech parts store and search for original or post in wanted section here. Not sure if that helps. Disclaimer I have been known to be wrong.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
What state do you live in? May make a difference.

Personally I'd deban it entirely. If you take off the stock is the rear of the receiver roughly 90 degrees off the top or bottom of the receiver? If NOT, you have an angle cut receiver and won't be able to easily use a normal issue stock. Ironwood Designs makes an angled stock that would work and count as a US made part.

Other than that, if the receiver's not been cut, I'd change out the stock, pistol grip, gas piston (VERY easy), muzzle nut/slant comp and if I needed more parts the FCG, which counts as 3 US parts.

Post some pics

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
What state do you live in? May make a difference.

Personally I'd deban it entirely. If you take off the stock is the rear of the receiver roughly 90 degrees off the top or bottom of the receiver? If NOT, you have an angle cut receiver and won't be able to easily use a normal issue stock. Ironwood Designs makes an angled stock that would work and count as a US made part.

Other than that, if the receiver's not been cut, I'd change out the stock, pistol grip, gas piston (VERY easy), muzzle nut/slant comp and if I needed more parts the FCG, which counts as 3 US parts.

Post some pics
This ^^^^

1 - 4 of 4 Posts