AK Rifles banner

Replacement for AK cleaning rod?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Averageman 
#1 ·
I'm still torn between Magpul's soon to be distributed MOE AK and Zhukov handguard. I want to pick AK version because it lets you keep cleaning rod. If you pick Zhukov, you can't keep cleaning rod because of a barrel clamp in front portion.

However, I'm still going ahead with getting MOE AK stock, which does have storage compartment that can hold AK cleaning/repair kit. I seriously doubt that the stock is long enough to hold cleaning rod.

Do do you guys know of any take down cleaning rod made of aluminum or brass that has female threaded end to accept bore brushes that typically go with AK cleaning kit? Any idea on how I can replace the original cleaning rod if I decide to go for Zhukov handguard?

#2 ·
Ive cleaned a lot of ak's and I dont recall having used the factory cleaning rod except maybe to pound out a few stuck cases. Why not use the gov issue m16 / m4 steel rod that breaks down into multiple pieces with a m60 diameter bore brush.

Either that or take a look at that handguard retainer that is in the way and see if it can be drilled out to accept the cleaning rod. Maybe the designers were just lazy.

#7 ·
#4 ·
Bore Snake works for me.

#5 ·
I like to use the real AK cleaning utensils, too.

If I had to use something else and fit it in a butt stock compartment, those G3 cleaning kits are excellent. Has an aluminum bead pull-through with a hook to attach a patch or one of two bore brushes. Dirt cheap too.

#6 ·
I have a old GI issue cleaning rod and a couple of AK cleaning rods, they usually ride in the gun case and only come out for stuck cases. This has seemed to happen much more often in my AR's, as a matter of fact I'm trying to remember if I've ever had one with an AK?
Boresnakes are cool just keep a close eye out for wear and understand that's good for a quick swab. The older they get the more they fill with debris. You've not lived until you've had one go "POP" when the bore brush has just exited the chamber and has hit the lands and grooves.
When it comes to an actual cleaning kit I use OTIS brand kits in the field most of the time now. When I get home I give it the full Monty with a one piece rod and a good scrubbing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.