AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, newbie here ! Wanted to install a new grip on my 1985 AKS223 underfolder. The grip screw backs out a turn and the stops as if the nut is "crimped" . I didn't want to damage the screw head so I didn't torque it hard. Any tips? Or suggestions?
Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Some of the Poly Tech grip screws were staked in place, so what you are feeling is just that, it's resistance to loosening up. I have been lucky with mine that just being very careful and turning the screw out didn't damage anything.

After getting the screw out, I took the nut out of the receiver and turned it on by hand to make sure nothing was damaged, then ran the screw through the nut a few times to make sure I could easily reinstall the grip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks IndyKid! I will tread gently. It's a new acquisition in super shape, but the wood leaves something to be desired. I have a nice Black plastic Russian grip to fit to it. I have two sets of hand guards both super nice to fit to it . Haven't made up my mind to go with Hungarian hand guards or some nice Russian ones I picked up about 18 years ago . The Hungarians have been refinished in a deep red stain and are ready to be fitted . The Russian set is mis matched colors so some refinishing is required but the lower hand guard has that nice bulge and some great grain to the wood.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
What ever you do, do not lose or damage the original furniture as the rifle is very collectible and would lose a lot of value if you don't keep the wood with it. Granted some Poly Tech wood was flat out ugly, but if it was original, ugly was what stayed with the rifle.

Just to let you know, the only reason I removed the pistol grip was to make sure there was no hidden rust under it. I have seen Chinese rifles with that metal piece on the grip rubbing into the receiver, causing some hidden rust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would leave the original wood or buy a set of polytech wood to install on that, but that's my opinion only.
Good opinion, I will keep all the original wood for collection purposes. I did look at the nice original blonde wood kits , but was reluctant to invest more money when I have all these nice handguards laying around. But now you got me thinking again! My credit card hates you ;)
Another note.... I was looking at those nice Kensight adjustable rears. Anyone using those?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got the grip screw off ! I was cursing some poor Chicom all the way. I used vice grips and choked up on a flat head screw driver almost all the way to the tip. That screw was tough till the last turn! I actually sliped once and slightly damaged the screw but I found a real nice grip screw in my parts bin from long ago. Now my gun has a very nice dark red Bakelite grip. I think it's Russian but really can't remember . I think it's going to look sweet with the red iodine AK74 handguards I picked up in the parts for sale area . Justin did you buy the other set for your AKS ? Do we think alike ? Lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
  1. image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Here are some pics of phase 1 with new grip installed. I know some purists will cringe but I can always put the original back on. I think it looks awesome :). Can't wait for the handguards. Anyone know the origin of that grip. I think it's Russian but I bought it so long ago I can't remember . Jay

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had these kicking around too. But I like that red one I put on especially with the iodine red handguards that are coming image.jpg

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I like the red too. The furniture Polytech put on the Legend was, IMO, a lot more attractive. Legend on top, Polytech double underfolder bottom.

[URL="http://
[/URL]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if its got this type of number on it, its russian. "1/2" (izhmash) or "1-2" (tula)
The red grip on the rifle is unmarked , so I am guessing probably Romanian. The brownish Bakelite in the pic of the two grips is unmarked - again probably Romanian ? The black grip is marked 1-1 and I think it came with an RPK wood set I bought in the 90's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts