AK Rifles banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,

I am new to this forum and to Kalashnikov rifles in general (just puchased an Romanian GP-WASR 10) in 7.62 caliber and though I like it a lot, (great value for the money), I have a couple of questions as there are two things troubling me about the rifle. First, how in Heaven's name do you get the lower handguard off the gun? I managed to get the upper off (throw the little lever in front of the sight and pull on it like a bear after honey), but for the life of me, I can't get the lower one off. Why do I want to do this? Because the wood is, uh, to be kind, plain, Nah, homely , with no finish to it at all. The stock looks like it was fitted with a log builders' froe, and short of finding a new one and installing it, I wouldn't know how to refit the stock so that there isn't a big gap between the metal receiver and the inletted tongue that fits into the receiver. Also, I was wondering if magazine wobble is normal on all AK's, because this one has it (not a whole lot, but it is there). Is there some way to fix this?
Now, it probably sounds like I am being overly criitical of the gun, but I really am not-I love it inspite of its pimples. It shoots every time I pull the trigger and I can't argue with that! One more question: I'd like to try my hand at kit building an AK using a Tapco flat and buying an Hungarian SA-85 kit. Is this a good kit to start with or would another Romanian be a better choice for a first try? Thanks for bearing with my long post and all the questions and I'd be grateful for any help.

Regards,

Curtis (Woodsman22)

·
Registered
612 Posts
There should be a small lever at the front of your lower handguard.Flip it forward and that whole piece will slide forward on the barrel.Then just pull the wood up and out.

The mag wobble is common to the WASR,my SAR-1 even has alittle.Some mags will fit tighter than others,Bulgy waffles seem to be some of the tightest fitting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts