AK Rifles banner

Remove JB Weld from barrel?

5K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  JoeMomma 
#1 ·
Have an SKS that is a Vietnam bringbank with paperwork. The best I can tell it has about 5 inches of JB weld plugged in the end of the barrel. I tried to dremel it out, but am afraid I'm going to damage the bore.

#2 ·
From their website:
How can I remove J-B Weld after it is fully cured?

When fully cured, J-B Weld can only be removed by grinding or filing it off, or by directly heating the product above the 600º maximum temperature threshold.

according to one machinists website, heating it results in an overcure, making it very brittle.

#3 ·
You might be able to press it out with a piece of aluminium. I don't know how well it sticks to a chrome lining. You might benefit from some pb blaster before pressing as I bet there's a gap in the grooves.

#7 ·
snakebite said:
I was thinking the same thing as davehall9000. you might set it up on its end in a bucket and fill the barrel with kroil and see if it creeps out around the jb weld and work it over with a brass or aluminum rod.
Given the hypothetical that Kroil creeps past it, the JB weld is still going to be conforming to the lands and grooves of the barrel, it will have to be untwisted on the way out. It's one thing to slug a bullet out and another thing to slug 5" of JB weld out.

#8 ·
A dry ice and acetone bath will get down to around -78C (-108F), which is well below the -67F low threshold listed in the JB Weld FAQ. The putty might start breaking down enough to start picking it out.

Try this in a WELL ventilated area and away from ignition sources.

#12 ·
I'm told MEK might be a possibility, but can't find any confirmation from anyone who has actually used it on JB Weld. It's tough stuff.

Can we see pics of the SKS, the paperwork and maybe some backstory as to how/why it has JB Weld in the barrel?

In the end, you might have to leave it as it is if there is a possibility of trashing the barrel. A bringback probably isn't the best shooter gun anyway.

#13 ·
Got the first inch of JB out with a dremel. Finally the bit spun off. @#*(@(# I ordered several different solvents online. One is supposed to arrive Friday. I did the best measurements I could and have an additional 4 3/8" to go. I may run a small bit through the JB weld and see if I can get some light down.

The owner gave me the SKS as a gift. It is an East German, no import marks. He is getting older and doesn't like the memories it gives him, he told me this SKS was off of a VC that he took down in a rice field. He plugged the barrel on recommendation of a law enforcment friend that said it had to either cut the reciever or plug the barrel that could not be readily fixed. He suffered from PTSD, got into some trouble...spent sometime in prison and did the modification to able to keep the rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.