AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have a spot weld pattern reference for the PG reinforcement plate? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kind of a piggyback question, but how does everyone align their pistol grip reinforcement plates? I'm about to start spot welding, and I can get the plates to match up based on feel, but the OCD inside me wants to verify that he plate is 100% spot on. Can anyone share their procedures?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I place a the shank of a drill bit (exact size of hole) in the shared trigger guard rivet hole to hold it in place, pivot the back of the PG plate until it's centered, clamp and spot weld.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's the same procedure I've been using, but I've been using the actual rivet to hold the plate and trigger guard in place while I position the plate into the final position. What I'm noticing is that the plate seems to be a little off compared to the hole for the pistol grip screw.

I tried to find the dead center of the plate and the rifle, but it's difficult to find the dead center of the AK's receiver.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I place a the shank of a drill bit (exact size of hole) in the shared trigger guard rivet hole to hold it in place, pivot the back of the PG plate until it's centered, clamp and spot weld.
I do the same, and just eyeball the edge of the plate relative to the lower corner of the receiver, making sure everything is parallel.

Damn, which one is not like the other. :confused:

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice!

Fretout, the slot in the top front on the PG is going to center the grip on the trigger guard. As you tighten down on the PG screw it pulls it tight to the receiver and forward up against the guard. That's why I use a pin/dowl/drill shank the exact size of the TG hole, it takes out any slop you would have using just the rivet. You could run a square off the back of the rec to get the edge of the plate perpendicular.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice pic Hueto. The second from he right either has the underfolder/Saiga 12 kit plate.

Thanks for your help SA58. I used my drill bit to take any slop out of the receiver/plate/PG joint. I used a few extra PG Plates I have and clamped them to the sides to more-or-less give me a lane I could measure between the very edge of the receiver and the edge of the PG Plate. I used a digital caliper to measure the gaps and verified the plate is dead center. I know it's a lot more work, but now I have numbers that verify it's perfectly centered.

For some reason, the beveled edge of my receiver was giving me some strange optical illusion that made the plate appear slanted. I'll try to post some pics after a bit that details my procedure. Great idea on the drill bit vs. rivet...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts