AK Rifles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an AK for sale with a Registered sear by Flemming, are AK registered sears the same as HK sears in that you can move the sear from one gun to another? I'm confused about it, I know you have to drill the third hole which is illegal to do, but say i bought this AK bought a new receiver drilled the third hole installed my registered sear and demilled the old receiver, would that be legal? I know its an odd question but why would they register the sear and not the receiver? Thanks. McM

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The ATF considers drilling the hole in the receiver to be "making" a new machinegun and thus is not legal to do. The AK sears that were registered prior to 5-19-86 and installed in an AK were grandfathered by ATF and were permanently "married" to the gun they were installed in. ATF had approved a bunch of registrations of AK sears, but later discovered that unlike an AR15 or HK sear, that the receiver had to be drilled foe the sear and went back and contacted every owner of the sears and if they had not been installed in a gun, they disallowed the registration. If the sear had been installed, they added the serial number of the host gun to the form the gun was registered on, thereby "marrying" them. I am unaware if anyone has ever actually asked the ATF if they could do this.

·
Banned
85 Posts
couldn't you spotweld a custom pin in place to hold the autosear? no holes.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
sure, but you would also have to modifiy the rail for a sear slot and they in itself would also make it a machine gun

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
As stated above once a machinegun always a machinegun. That was wny a bunch of Norincos and Maadis were called contraban. The Norincos had axis pins welded in the holes and the Maadis had rivets in the holes. No deal. They did a recal on all of these but there are still a few that didn't come back. These are subject to seizure any time they are seen by law enforcement or ATF.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
DrugRunR said:
sure, but you would also have to modifiy the rail for a sear slot and they in itself would also make it a machine gun
hmmmm...or what if you cut the sear down, used a welden pin, and modified the carrier to have some type of tail to trip the sear underneath the rail?

·
Registered
474 Posts
AKLover_91 said:
DrugRunR said:
hmmmm...or what if you cut the sear down, used a welden pin, and modified the carrier to have some type of tail to trip the sear underneath the rail?
If you are not worried about the laws then why (mickey mouse)a gun that could malfunction and kill you or someone else.Kinda like those idiots that street race there unproperly modified cars on public roads.Thinking thay have a kool idea or it would be kool to do.Besides full auto is a waste and should be left for the rich.Who would probably be smart enough to buy a leagle one aneyway.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
AK76239 said:
couldn't you spotweld a custom pin in place to hold the autosear? no holes.
The problem is there are no registered AUTO sears that are not married to a rifle. The ones that were loose were removed from the registry.

·
Registered
534 Posts
DrugRunR said:

Slot in the rail has nothing to do with it being a MG. Same as saying an AR with a receiver milled wide enough to accept the extra width of a spec. auto sear would be a MG. Nope legal as long as there is NO Sear Pin Hole Drilled In The Receiver Itself.

Infact you could Stagger Drill or Slot both rails for lightness their full length if you so wished.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts