AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to start refinishing my Romy WASR. I understand that the orange stain that came on the rifle is easy to remove...but can I use stripper without damaging the wood? I have some Bix and was going to give it a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've heard of lots of guys using Bix. You should be fine.

You might want to pick up a set of Romy AKM furniture from one of the "G" kits. That would look more Romanian than what comes on the WASR.

I think Copes has them for sale. www.copesdist.com

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I used clean strip stripper pretty easy strips in a half hour. Didn't hurt the wood. Than I just used tung oil after I sanded it with 200 & 0000 steel wool. Here are some pics.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it better to stain the furniture or just use tung oil? I was going to put some military stock stain on it, but the tung oil photos above look great.

Thanx/

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Ya, you can stain it with what ever color you want. I did these just natural
wood. I have used a ritz dye stain process also. There is a formula on ironwooddesigns.com website that i have used. But yes there are alot different ways to do them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you clearcoat your tung-oiled rifle with anything...or does the oil give the shine that you seem to have?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Just tung oil. If you put enough coats on it it will shine. Or you can put a few coats on it than clear coat it. I like just the tung oil only.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Got 'er done".

I stripped the wood, put a red oak stain on it, and then 5 coats of Danish Oil. It really came out nice. I'll post some pics when I can.

I thought about putting a couple of coats of poly on it, but just the oil finish looks fine.

I also removed the bluing from the charging handle and shined up the chrome underneath. Came out good.

Thanks for your help on this. I'll post a few pics when I can.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bet that sure is nice it sounds it. i am starting to get hooked on polished charging handles my self. one of polish underfolders might end up with a polished charging handle.

Ronald

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The charging handle job is a breeze. It took about 10 minutes and cost $7 in supplies from Wally World. Here is the finished product:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts