AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sending my Bulgy Krink kit in a few days to be built and have no idea on which refinish option. Give me the good and bad of the following and any other finish options and what each will look like, dull , glossy, etc:

gunkote, molycoat, or Duracote

Thanks!!

scottMO

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
"Sending...in a few days to be built..." Your options will be probabily limited to what the builder will offer.

If you can have the builder use GunKote AK-Black over parkerize will give you a nice durable finish. It should be very close to factory color. The added benefit is you can clean your rifle with modern bore solvents and not dump squid ink "factory paint" all over your hands.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I'd use gunkote

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I'll probably get hosed for this but after a number of builds in a number of finishes, I built a bulgy krink and used rustoleum textured paint. It was the closest thing to the original bulgarian finish, close enough so all I had to do was paint the receiver after installing the rivets. I feathered the paint a little on a couple spots that I needed to blend and you just can't tell, even with the top cover resting on the receiver. The most important step is properly curing the paint. I had it in the toster over for an hour at 300, has held up great.

After that there is one more step. Take a cotton patch, soak it with oil and rub the painted surface with medium pressure to smooth the ruffness of the texture down. This will sort of rub off the "peaks" and end up mildly glossing them. Keep the patch wet. You will end up rubbing a considerable amount of oil into the paint as the first oil applied will soak up into the finish.

Think it's silly? Go to the store and take a $4 chance with a piece of scrap. Use a mild primer dusting. I read about this technique and it worked for me as well, and I am very picky.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
l4mbr3tt4 said:
I'll probably get hosed for this but after a number of builds in a number of finishes, I built a bulgy krink and used rustoleum textured paint. It was the closest thing to the original bulgarian finish, close enough so all I had to do was paint the receiver after installing the rivets. I feathered the paint a little on a couple spots that I needed to blend and you just can't tell, even with the top cover resting on the receiver. The most important step is properly curing the paint. I had it in the toster over for an hour at 300, has held up great.

After that there is one more step. Take a cotton patch, soak it with oil and rub the painted surface with medium pressure to smooth the ruffness of the texture down. This will sort of rub off the "peaks" and end up mildly glossing them. Keep the patch wet. You will end up rubbing a considerable amount of oil into the paint as the first oil applied will soak up into the finish.

Think it's silly? Go to the store and take a $4 chance with a piece of scrap. Use a mild primer dusting. I read about this technique and it worked for me as well, and I am very picky.
The rustoleum looks good, but i'd say when the barrel gets warm it will get tacky..

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
BigAL said:
l4mbr3tt4 said:

The rustoleum looks good, but i'd say when the barrel gets warm it will get tacky..
Well... I tried it and it's been flawless for me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for sharing the Rustoleum tip. I've used Guncote and Moly Resin in different colors and finishes but there are times something quick and close is more than good enough.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Eddie,order the 2400 series,actually the 2401F.It's the flat black.perfect color.No need for anything but the KG can,no thinner,hardener etc..You just heat the parts up @ about 150 degrees and spray it on.Once finish with the color coat,bake @ 350 for an hour to an hour and 1/2.done.

here is a color comparison of the 2401F.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts