AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

There I was, cleaning my Arsenal SA M7R. I had reassembled the rifle all the way except for replacing the dust cover. I laid the rifle down on the table to pick up the bottle of Break Free...and....

In a total Bubba moment, I bumped the table slightly and the rifle (minus dust cover) went clattering to the concrete floor. Luckily, it landed on the barrel and pistol grip and miraculously propped itself against some folding chairs so it didn't appear to damage the recoil assembly or anything. The dust cover didn't fare so lucky: it clattered to the floor separately and picked up a pretty obvious scratch right at the rear of the ejection port. I quickly ran to the range and put 200 rounds through the rifle to make sure it wasn't damaged, sights not knocked off target, etc. The rifle seems fine, but the dust cover has that ugly scratch now.

Is there a finish that I can apply to just the dust cover to match the original Arsenal paint? I'd prefer a "rattle can" solution and not have to have the cover professionally redone.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You said ORIGINAL Arsenal paint? And rattle can?

You may be in luck. Pick any can of Black Paint from Walmart that is about the right color :) Original Arsenal (Bulgarian) paint is VERY cheap, and most terrible - generally runs off like squid ink if it even sees a can of Acetone :)

Qualification: You have a SAM7. I have reports that Arsenal, in a moment of maddnes, actually used a quality finish on these rifles. If so? You really want to talk with other SAM7 owners to find out what that finish is...

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trotsky said:
You said ORIGINAL Arsenal paint? And rattle can?

You are in luck. Pick any can of Black Paint from Walmart that is about the right color :) Original Arsenal (Bulgarian) paint is VERY cheap, and most terrible - generally runs off like squid ink if it even sees a can of Acetone :)

Here's the rub: I've tried Rustoleum, a can of cheapo black paint, and a can of black automotive primer from Wally World, and ALL of them are too grey compared to the actual finish.

Either Brownells or somebody was offering spray cans of "ordnance" black paint a while back. I also might call Arsenal to see if Julia will tell me (Ha ha).

I thought maybe someone had encountered this problem and might be able to say, "Sure, XYZ color Squid Ink Black" is a perfect match or something. :neutral:

Years, and I mean YEARS ago, I had a scuff mark on an SLR95 that I wanted to cover. I used some kind of black barbecue paint that does not require heat to cure (although heat can be used). It was a near perfect match. Sure wish I could remember the brand.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I've used ACE flat black spray paint and it matches prety well...it's not an absolute flat black...still carries just a hint of shine to it...I think Krylon flat black is the same thing.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
akraider said:
I've used ACE flat black spray paint and it matches prety well...it's not an absolute flat black...still carries just a hint of shine to it...I think Krylon flat black is the same thing.
Cool. I'll give the ACE a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts