AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
38 Izzy, bought it off a guy locally... got it real cheap. Shoots great though and I don't think he put many rounds through it... still had mucho cosmo. Very clean rifle over all... just that the stock looked like shit... the Shellac had been torn up in multiple spots. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the stock before I stripped the Shellac.... but I do have pictures of the after.

*note... I left the damn cleaning rod out on accident

I did not sand the stock at any point... I stained it with minwax red mahogany at 2 different times over 3 days... applied multiple coats of Tung oil over the last week. Found alot of neat stamps in the wood I didn't notice before with the shel on it. It could use a tad more red and be a tad bit darker in my opinion... but I like it.

Not bad for $70?

·
Super Moderator
25,847 Posts
Damn nice grain on that! I know why the Russians applied the shellac, but can"t stand the way it looks.
I stripped the shellac off of a captured German 98k, and was amazed at the beautiful hardwood stock that was hiding under all that crap.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys... btw I caught the Mosin Nagant bug... its not as deadly to the pocket book as the AK bug is....

·
Registered
900 Posts
:shock: Looks great !!! Nice figuring on the left side of that stock. :grin:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Looks nice.
Tyrvidar said:
Thanks guys... btw I caught the Mosin Nagant bug... its not as deadly to the pocket book as the AK bug is....
I know the feeling. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Sharp looking rifle! I was thinking the same thing as machineguneddie, in that it looks Finish to me. Have you checked to see if there is a boxed [SA] on the receiver anywhere? Looks like it was made yesterday, really like it!

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
What did you use to strip it? I've thought about doing the same thing, but I'm NOT a woodsy kind of guy. I'm afraid I'll get too deep with regular paint stripper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts