AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
I loved the first one. As a kid our dads really made us feel it was a realistic possibility. We traind for it all the time with our bb guns in the arroyos. WOLVERINES!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The original was an amazing film that has stood the test of time.

The remake is a hollow shell in comparison... but not completely merit-less. Chief among them that private firearm ownership is portrayed in a favorable light - probably why this film was panned so hard by the standard liberal film reviewers.

Edit - The Subway scene was hilarious.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Wait. What?
Yea you read that right. I know it has AKs in it and other cool stuff but the movie just made no sense to me. Random attack, random soldier guy showing up (Powers Both). Helo shooting at a tank, tank shooting at a helo. Both are just standing/hovering there....Overall just lame

flame suit on

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
Yea you read that right. I know it has AKs in it and other cool stuff but the movie just made no sense to me. Random attack, random soldier guy showing up (Powers Both). Helo shooting at a tank, tank shooting at a helo. Both are just standing/hovering there....Overall just lame

flame suit on
Correct me if I am wrong, but you did immigrate here to the USA as an adult and did not grow up with the 1980's USA pop culture, correct?

The movie was representative of the times and the height of the cold war. While from a military correctness frame of mind, it is outlandish, but the movie played on many of themes and fears drilled into any adult and kid during the 1980's about the evil Soviet empire. To a lesser extent, it resonates today with many people due to some of the same themes seen with the recent political turmoil and loss of civil liberties.

While not an contender for any Academy Awards for acting, it feature many actors that either were well established or would go on to become iconic later down the road. Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, Jennifer Grey and Lea Thompson to name a few.

So watching it cold in today's context with no frame of reference of the time it was made and the intended audience, yeah it is goofy story. To the rest that lived during that time, it is an iconic movie.

·
Super Moderator
26,318 Posts
I would have bet any amount of money that we were going to have WWIII before I was 40. The Cold War was very real to those of us who remember what it was like living with the fact that at any moment, the world as we knew it could end in a flash of light, and lots of radiation.
It was defiantly a snap shot of certain fears, irrational or not, of that era.

Reactions: Hootbro

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but you did immigrate here to the USA as an adult and did not grow up with the 1980's USA pop culture, correct?

The movie was representative of the times and the height of the cold war. While from a military correctness frame of mind, it is outlandish, but the movie played on many of themes and fears drilled into any adult and kid during the 1980's about the evil Soviet empire. To a lesser extent, it resonates today with many people due to some of the same themes seen with the recent political turmoil and loss of civil liberties.

While not an contender for any Academy Awards for acting, it feature many actors that either were well established or would go on to become iconic later down the road. Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, Jennifer Grey and Lea Thompson to name a few.

So watching it cold in today's context with no frame of reference of the time it was made and the intended audience, yeah it is goofy story. To the rest that lived during that time, it is an iconic movie.
2/8/88. I was 7

im a fan of 80's action flick. I dont go out seeking them on dvd but if Rambo is on tv (which it was a few weeks ago) or Commando, or Missing in Action...etc..etc.. I'll watch. Now obviously those movies are also over the top. I once counted the amount of bodies Cobra left and it was in the high double digits. These arnt well acted movies and they are certainly not thought provoking but at least one can follow some sort of a story line. In this movie stuff just happens. First they are sitting around then all of a sudden they are in the middle of a firefight. And where does that general come from? Why does a tank and a helo just appear. ...thats what kills it for me

·
Registered
407 Posts
The first Red Dawn was what got me to into buying Soviet made weapons. First was a Chinese SKS, then a Maadi Egyptian AK. I just seen the second version on Youtube the other day. It was watchable, but I was not impressed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts