AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I had a major surgery at the Hampton VA Hospital last Tuesday. Got a non cancerous tumor cut out of my left man breast and had a old hernia repaired. No sign of infection so far. (Honestly, that was my biggest worry!) Today is the first day I am moving around semi normal. The Doc wasn't kidding when she told me "You will be in severe discomfort" for a while. :eek:
They did the tumor removal so cleanly I'd hardly know they worked on me there.
The hernia repair was a real bitch though. Makes it almost impossible to move about without serious pain. Today I can get in and out of a chair without agony. Big improvement from a few days ago. I still need my wife's help getting in and out of bed though. The Post Op swelling boosted my already generous girth by 6". Living in sweat pants for now. They gave me no pain killers. I bought some Tylenol. I had to laugh when they sent me some Dulcolax stool softener. I told the nurse I am already on Metformin, what the Hell do I need a stool softener for? She said the Metformin only treats diabetes. I asked her if she knew HOW it did that? BY leaving you in a constant state of the runs! So I haven't touched the Dulcolax.
I'd been working to get this operation for many months now. Saved up enough so I could take November off to recover. I guess I should count myself lucky. There were a number of complications that could have happened and none did! Now I just need to rest and keep moving around as much as I can stand it to speed my recovery. And I'd give my care at the VA Hospital a 9 out of 10. Not perfect. But they were really working hard at their jobs as far as I could see.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Glad things went well for you. Be sure not to over do it when you start feeling better, you don't need any set backs.

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
Glad to hear things went well Rich, and its good to hear your on the mend.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Glad to hear the surgery went well. I had a lipoma removed from my throat in June. Same day surgery. Due to delays I was the last person out of recovery room. Having gone so long without drinking I had gotten sort of dehydrated which led to constipation. When I finally had the urge to go it was a difficult labor. I was waiting for the clink of a brick landing in the toilet. My rear end was sore for a couple of days afterwards from the straining. The doc had told me not to do anything strenuous for two weeks lest I risk tearing the stitches. It was a bummer for sure, lol.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments guys! I won't be over doing anything. My wife has gone full strict church lady on me to set limits on my activity! I find myself getting cotton mouth at night. I drink a lot of water during the day. Thanks to the metformin I take for diabetes, my bowels and been awake and angry for a few days now. I've been lucky to come out of anesthesia every time over the years with no issues. Most strenuous thing I did today was go out tire shopping for my van. Hell, Donna even changed the cat pan for me. She didn't want me lifting it!

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Glad to hear the surgery went well. I had a lipoma removed from my throat in June. Same day surgery. Due to delays I was the last person out of recovery room. Having gone so long without drinking I had gotten sort of dehydrated which led to constipation. When I finally had the urge to go it was a difficult labor. I was waiting for the clink of a brick landing in the toilet. My rear end was sore for a couple of days afterwards from the straining. The doc had told me not to do anything strenuous for two weeks lest I risk tearing the stitches. It was a bummer for sure, lol.
Oh God..... Bringing back memories of the summer of '95 getting hit by a car and having my legs crushed. bed ridden for three months. For almost two months I couldn't poop. They'd put me under so many times to work on me that I was stopped up like a cheap toilet. I had stopped eating since nothing was coming out the other end. Doc's weren't happy, but they admitted I had enough body fat to carry myself a ways. Once they got me up on crutches though. Holy shit! The flood gates opened and I almost ruined the toilet in my hospital room! Getting back on feet may have saved my life.

·
Super Moderator
12,276 Posts
this thread went to shit quick.....

seriously though, get well soon and take it easy and dont overdo it. Ive had a couple of surgeries and its easy to overdo it and you're body will definitely let you know it.

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Oh God..... Bringing back memories of the summer of '95 getting hit by a car and having my legs crushed. bed ridden for three months. For almost two months I couldn't poop. They'd put me under so many times to work on me that I was stopped up like a cheap toilet. I had stopped eating since nothing was coming out the other end. Doc's weren't happy, but they admitted I had enough body fat to carry myself a ways. Once they got me up on crutches though. Holy shit! The flood gates opened and I almost ruined the toilet in my hospital room! Getting back on feet may have saved my life.
:flush: lol..You get well soon and blessings to You..

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
OK...I just gotta ask. What the hell kind of Dr. is this that doesn't give you pain meds???? He graduate from the Marquis de Sade school of medicine? Shit, call him back and get a scrip.

I had a DOUBLE hernia repair (keyhole surgery) in Scotland last year (long story on the locale!) and was of course staying down the afternoon following the surgery. Yes, I was home in bed the next day too but the Doc told my wife to make sure I was up and OUT the next day after that. She MADE ME go shopping. I still remember EVERY bump on that Edinburgh road going down to Princes Street! LOL! My reward though was that I was actually permitted to go out hunting Roe deer the day after that (two bucks down)! What made it all possible? THE DAMN PAIN MEDS and a good number of Anti-inflammatories! Nothing like guns and opiates right? :) I think I was on three or four codeine per day for the first week and eight Ibuprofen for about 10 days total. Yeah, my nether regions were a really amazing and unnatural shade of purple while also swollen up nicely... but not painful and within five days the swelling was gone. Great part of the story was, before checking out of hospital, my Scottish surgeon even went so far as to say, "Ya know laddie, a wee bit o' Macallan would go well with that Codeine don't ya know!" :) True story! Nothing like guns, opiates, and Scotch! Seriously, in the 21st century, there is NO REASON to be uncomfortable and remaining stationary is I think actually bad for a hernia repair and the chances of post-op complications (Intestinal adhesion?). Think about why are you being forced into this situation. Simply because American docs are paranoid about prescribing pain meds! Call these moronic docs back and have them call in a pain med scrip for you and maybe mass amounts of Ibuprofen as well. No reason to suffer!

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys

The Doc did prescribe me a mild pain med. A mix of oxy something and Tylenol. But I just do not feel like driving 80 freaking miles round trip to go get it. And I was in no shape the day I left the hospital to wait 4 hours at the VA pharmacy. They refused to mail it to me. I am getting up and about. I walked a 1/4 mile yesterday and did some shopping. Today I met friends from church for breakfast together. About to go run some other errands now. Complaining wouldn't have worked. You ever try to call a Doc at the VA? ;-) Good luck with that and wait half a day in line to get a message to them.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this thread went to shit quick.....

seriously though, get well soon and take it easy and dont overdo it. Ive had a couple of surgeries and its easy to overdo it and you're body will definitely let you know it.
Thanks man, I needed that. It hurts to laugh, but it was OK.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
One of the side effects of oxy is constipation, that's the reason for the stool softener. I don't blame you for not going to get the pain pills.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
If you can keep tolerating the pain it probably is a good thing you are toughing it out without meds. That way if you are doing anything to upset the surgery, you sure as hell are going to feel it!

I remember my dad had surgery for a herniated disc in his spine. After a couple weeks, he took a few percs, and went outside and landscaped the whole yard. Kept saying he felt great. Pain meds wore off... and he paid for it with a month of agony!

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Woo Hoo Progress!

Forced myself into and out of bed a couple times last night and this morning! A little painful, but not too bad. I couldn't sit up to pull the covers up. So I still have a ways to go. That made me feel a lot better being able to pull that off last night! I really didn't like wrecking my wife's sleep asking her for help at 3 am.

Soon I will have my Man card back!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Had a ruptured colon back when Katrina was hitting NO. Just about died. Had been blocked and diverticulitis and 3 days of pain disappeared in a second-went to ER stat! Listen to any warning signs! I wouldnt read the Ryan's Steakhouse article for a while!

·
Banned
1,635 Posts
Good to hear you are doing well. Just had prostate surgery myself back in September at Sibley Memorial Hospital in DC, the care I received was great. Not a fun experience, but I am recovering without any problems so far.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm able to get in and out of our old recliner now!
I'm not saying "mission accomplished" or anything just yet, but that is a big step towards normalcy. Even healthy people have trouble that beat up old recliner!

Sounds like a tough & durable group we have here. I am humbled. My troubles seem pretty small compared to many of you!

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spent a very restless night getting up to pass wind a lot. Noticed this morning that my tummy was feeling better and less swollen. Tried to put pants on. No dice. Still swollen 4" over normal size. Aw well. maybe in a few more days. Got a surprise package from the VA today. Painkillers! Had to sign for them. My bad leg is killing me today. (Old injury unrelated to the surgery.) So I took a couple. My wife warned me to not operate anything heavier than the washer or dryer. I agreed. Hopefully I won't get an urge to go out and landscape the yard. ;-)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts