AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered one of AIM's Romanian kits for my first AK build.I have made a list of all parts i need,but have a few questions.

What would be the best reciever to use for a first build?(I was leaning tward a 100% OOW) Any suggestions appreciated! I have searched the net and seen articals with recievers with rails too low,holes in the wrong place,ect...I'd like to pick one with a reputation for the least amount of issues.

Single hook or double hook FCG?

Screw kits?(I have read that holes in front trunion are 5mm,but one would need to be 6mm to be threaded properly?)

BBT will drop off kit thursday,so i'll get it cleaned up and come up with a build plan.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Right now, the best receiver is any receiver you can get.

Currently, my favorite receiver is the Ewbanks, but DCI is coming out with new AKM receivers. If they are as good as the Yugo receivers they made, they are worth the wait.

Has OOW fixed the selector hole too low problem? Dunno. Also, the OOW only heat treats the holes. That makes it difficult to get an even finish. The good thing is that they arent as likely to be warped as a fully heat treated rcvr.

I like to drill my own trunnion holes in my receivers, but I hear the predrilled ones are close enough.

Either 5mm or 10x32 screws will work. 6mm screws at the lower front trunnion holes give a little more bite.

Hope that answered a few questions.

·
Registered
451 Posts
i love the OOW reciever, but hate the stamp on the side!! i have been using the Ewbanks also...but i buy them at the gunshows just to make sure they are straight !!!

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
My opinion:

EWBANK - nice, good price, good options (plate, underfolder, AMD, holes) usually about 15 minutes of trimming/fitting

OOW - a little long, horrible logo, fits good though.

Global - nice, fits good, needs to relocate info to bottom, yucky mag well dimples, maybe 15 minutes of trimming/fitting

DCI- can't say. have one of their yugo's. looks fantastic, but have heard bad things about magwell. hope to build it soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts