AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i am aware of the awesome work 74ullc does but im not about to wait that long

i guess nodak spud would be the next best?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Polish made receivers are available as either full hardened and heat-treated 80% shells or as finished receivers from Childers Guns. Although Euro made, they are finished here so they count as a 922r part. Cameron Childers will number your receiver to your trunnion. I don't know if he offers Russian selector markings, but to me these receivers made in an AK producing former Comblock nation are as close to a real Euro military receiver as you will find.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've talked to David from 74U LLC not too long ago and he said he was finished with December orders or almost done with them. The Polish receivers from Childers Guns are nice receivers I had a Maadi kit built on one of those. I've only had 120rds fired through that receiver so it still has some breaking in to do and they're just as hard as an NDS receiver I've even heard some NDS receivers are too hard. The Childers Guns receivers do require some fitting with the ejector, mag stabilizers, and the mag well. I had to dremil my mag stabilizers so all my mags can fit in it before I did that only like 7 of them would fit and I also dremiled the ejector just a tad bit. If you want to engrave Cyrillic or Arabic markings you'll have to weld up the Polish selector markings.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I've talked to David from 74U LLC not too long ago and he said he was finished with December orders or almost done with them. The Polish receivers from Childers Guns are nice receivers I had a Maadi kit built on one of those. I've only had 120rds fired through that receiver so it still has some breaking in to do and they're just as hard as an NDS receiver I've even heard some NDS receivers are too hard. The Childers Guns receivers do require some fitting with the ejector, mag stabilizers, and the mag well. I had to dremil my mag stabilizers so all my mags can fit in it before I did that only like 7 of them would fit and I also dremiled the ejector just a tad bit. If you want to engrave Cyrillic or Arabic markings you'll have to weld up the Polish selector markings.
Wow! You are the first human being on the internet I have seen that has actually built up a Childer's receiver. I have one at POHF waiting on a rail to get built up. I would order more, but I want to see how much of a pain in the ass they are to build up/ if they result in a decent rifle.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Wow! You are the first human being on the internet I have seen that has actually built up a Childer's receiver. I have one at POHF waiting on a rail to get built up. I would order more, but I want to see how much of a pain in the ass they are to build up/ if they result in a decent rifle.
My builder hated the Childers guns receiver because of all the fitting with the mag stabilizers and the ejector. He swears by Nodak Spud receivers because there is no fitting that needs to be done. I don't see what's so great about NDS receivers and why they're the best; unless you want to build a Hungy AK with an incorrect looking center support rivet. When building an AK there is going to be some fitting that's necessary especially with receivers.

I have one at POHF waiting on a rail to get built up?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don't get what's with all the various so-called experienced AK builders whining and pansying-out on the Polish receivers. If a guy can make an AK receiver out of an old manure shovel over a home forge in his garage and Khyber Pass Ali can hammer one out of a piece of scrap metal from the frame of an old truck with a little help from a hacksaw and a file while sitting cross-legged on a dirt floor, why does anything that needs a little more work than a Nodak Spud or AK Builder flat send guys with modern machine shops running and screaming like a little girl who was just offered a ride across a bridge in Ted Kennedy's car?

·
Registered
936 Posts
My builder hated the Childers guns receiver because of all the fitting with the mag stabilizers and the ejector. He swears by Nodak Spud receivers because there is no fitting that needs to be done. I don't see what's so great about NDS receivers and why they're the best; unless you want to build a Hungy AK with an incorrect looking center support rivet. When building an AK there is going to be some fitting that's necessary especially with receivers.

I have one at POHF waiting on a rail to get built up?
Isn't that part of the fitting process? About 10 minutes in a mill…including the setup. I would rather hand fit it perfectly for my bolt/carrier than receive it already "gone too far" or finished for worst case scenario.

Robert

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Some people are lazy and just want to cut corners and use the old "it's an AK" excuse it'll work hahaha. When building a quality firearm it's important to not cut corners and to not be lazy. My Maadi AKM build with the Childers Gun's receiver is a pretty good AK I think. I've never built my own AK I'd like to give it shot someday and I'd be sure to take my sweet ole time building especially on my first one. The problem is kits are expensive and so are Romy barrels I can't even find an extra Com Bloc barrel one for the life of me.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah, since that last big import of Polish kits, the last of the small quantity of virgin Romanian barrels APEX disappeared pretty quickly because of all the folks using them to build up the kits. And other Euro/Comblock/former Comblock AKM barrels have always been kind of scarce ever since our wise and all knowing Marxist masters decided that it is o.k. to flood this country with millions of foreign diseased deviates and criminals of every other sort, but that rifle barrels are a serious threat to our national security and overall general happiness and well being.

It sometimes seems that if you are building a scarce and collectable, higher end, AKM like a Soviet or a really nice Polish, East German, etc., your best option is to buy an affordable Romanian G kit with a good original, use the barrel for your build, and either sell the G kit or then build it with U.S. barrel. Not that there is anything wrong with the G's - I think they are nice and historic rifles and it's kind of a shame to rob the barrel from one - but they are more common and less costly, especially when compared to something like a Soviet AKM.

I was lucky enough to acquire 5 Polish AkM front halves with original barrels a little while ago, and plan to use these barrels for my various Soviet AKM and Polish underfolder builds. I also got one of those pristine, all matching, $750 Polish UF kits with the original barrel that are being sold on the Marketplace forum over at AK Files. Like "pura vida" abalone pearl cocaine, 25 year old Glenlivet, and tall blond 21 year old hookers, they are expensive but worth it.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I don't get what's with all the various so-called experienced AK builders whining and pansying-out on the Polish receivers. If a guy can make an AK receiver out of an old manure shovel over a home forge in his garage and Khyber Pass Ali can hammer one out of a piece of scrap metal from the frame of an old truck with a little help from a hacksaw and a file while sitting cross-legged on a dirt floor, why does anything that needs a little more work than a Nodak Spud or AK Builder flat send guys with modern machine shops running and screaming like a little girl who was just offered a ride across a bridge in Ted Kennedy's car?

:roflmao:

·
Registered
10 Posts

LMAO! This place is awesome.

I have two Russian AKM kits- 1 Tula and 1 Izhmash. For now Im just going to fold flats for both, but I will eventually order two 74uLLC receivers when I get around to it. They look awesome, and well worth the money.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i had to have this explained to me. pretty damned funny!

edit: sorry, thread necromancy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts