AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone make a decent, solid scope mount that replaces the receiver top cover of the AK? Something like DSA makes for the FAL. Seems like the only other mount option for the AK besides the side mount, which I don't care for because it puts the scope to high, is the Ultimak (or similiar), which I'm also not a fan of. Anyone? Anyone?

Bigcheese :sniper:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Well, if that is what you really want I think that's what you should do. But a scopemount on the AK's receiver cover will, regardless of who makes it, be the weakest way of mounting a scope to the weapon.

Don't know what sight you're looking for (reddot/eotech) of telescopic.. but dependant of what choice I would either opt for the ultimak or have one of those sidemounts that mount on the receiver by replacing the trigger and hammer pin (it's an option I myself would rather not go, but then again I like the original sidemount best :wink: )

So IMHO, from strongest to weakest.....

Reciever siderail
Ultimak/TDI handguards etc
Pin replacing siderail
Receiver cover mount

YMMV :neutral:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kuiper said:
Well, if that is what you really want I think that's what you should do. But a scopemount on the AK's receiver cover will, regardless of who makes it, be the weakest way of mounting a scope to the weapon.

Don't know what sight you're looking for (reddot/eotech) of telescopic.. but dependant of what choice I would either opt for the ultimak or have one of those sidemounts that mount on the receiver by replacing the trigger and hammer pin (it's an option I myself would rather not go, but then again I like the original sidemount best :wink: )

So IMHO, from strongest to weakest.....

Reciever siderail
Ultimak/TDI handguards etc
Pin replacing siderail
Receiver cover mount

YMMV :neutral:
:beer: Based on the receiver cover mounts I've seen so far I'd say your right, I'm hoping thereis one out there that I haven't seen that is solid. Such as DSA makes for the FAL with five heavy locking plates that lock onto the sides of the receiver. It seems like someone (company) would be making these. I'm not interested in a red dot or eotech. I want to mount a plain ole fixed 1.5x or 4x scope. Anyone who knows of such a mount, onfo would be greatly appreciated.

Bigcheese :sniper:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
You could try contacting DSA and ask if the're willing to make you one for your AK...it's a long shot but who knows. Or perhaps a gunsmith who can do a DSA AK lookalike custom job....

Perhaps is this something...

http://www.copesdist.com/ak47.htm

It will set off some tapco alerts, but if it works for you who am I to argue...

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Yup, but there isn't one on his weapon and he doesn't want to install one.....

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Dieter122 said:
this is why God created the side scope mount :twisted:

i wouldnt do this...just like the SKS reciever scope mounts, their crap

+10000. You will never be able to keep it zeroed.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
If you fit it right, the reciever cover mounts for the SKS are excellent. My friend has one on hus Yugo SKS and it works great.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Kreb's Custom Has One... Almost

Kreb's custom has a rifle that they produce with rails and a AR peep on the top of the receiver cover... They're currently working on making it work with any old AK, and Krebs will send the parts and diagrams that allow you to modify the recoil spring holder/ receiver cover catch so that it snugs down the receiver cover so it does not move.... but it's not available yet...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glock Holiday said:
Here is something for Chicom rifles. I've never seen one installed but B square makes a quality product.

http://www.productwizard.com/b-square-18600.html
I have experimented with this one. Typical of B-Square, it is a quality product. That is, it is made of high strength aluminum, nicely machined and hard anodized. (Unlike most chinese crap that is soft aluminum and is painted) It holds zero better than an AK can group. It has problems though. The mount has a slot for the bolt handle. This bites your hand if you are not careful when racking the bolt. The right side of the mount interferes with most selectors because it extends the hammer axis pin. You may have to whittle on your selector. It covers up most of the selector, restricting access. If you tighten it up good enough to be solid, it compresses the receiver and causes the bolt to bind. Also,I was able to get my top cover off with the mount installed, but could not get the bolt out without removing the mount.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Top Cover --- Scope Mounts

Uv seen some on CDNN site "www,cdnnsports.com" Good :mrgreen: Luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts