AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is Aresenals reason behind not building any more 105 series rifles? or any rifle in 5,45? now that the ammo is cheap and plentiful you would think they would offer it again!

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
They get them from Arsenal Bulgaria. The Bulgarians were concentrating on their milled 5.56mm and 7.62x39mm for military contracts.

The Bulgarians dropped the 5.45mm round, as did Poland and the DDR (when they were absorbed into Germany).

Arsenal Bulgaria didn't feel that the market in the US was big enough to justify building more 5.45mm rifles.

Remember, this was all pre-cheap surplus.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Get a non-Century Tantal, get it refinished, and don't mourn the end of the 105s. It may not be Bulgarian, but ...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Rumor has it that ARSENAL will be bringing to market converted SAIGA rifles'. Perhaps they'll introduce a 5.45 model.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i figured it would be a good marketing move on there part with all the cheap surplus 5,45 laying around.

shit smith and wesson jumped on the band wagon with a 5,45 AR Upper!

im not worried about having a 5,45 rifle. I just want one that is a non kit built, non Romanian lol ie Saiga or Arsenal rifle.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
lionhart said:
Rumor has it that ARSENAL will be bringing to market converted SAIGA rifles'. Perhaps they'll introduce a 5.45 model.

What?

I'd like some independent source material on this.

That's almost like admitting they can't make a quality AK at an affordable price and so they have to convert Russian AK's. Either that or they've run out of production capacity due to military contracts and it's the only way to stay in business.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Interesting.

Here's their pic.

As long as it takes the triangle stock I'll have to have one of these (if they're not $1,500).

EDIT: I take that back. I forgot the "un-banning" will still probably be done in Vegas. I'd have to let other people be the guinea pigs first.

*Picture removed - Templar. They were used without permission.*

·
Banned
234 Posts
Templar said:
They get them from Arsenal Bulgaria. The Bulgarians were concentrating on their milled 5.56mm and 7.62x39mm for military contracts.

The Bulgarians dropped the 5.45mm round, as did Poland and the DDR (when they were absorbed into Germany).

Arsenal Bulgaria didn't feel that the market in the US was big enough to justify building more 5.45mm rifles.

Remember, this was all pre-cheap surplus.
Probably smart of them since .223 is generally better ammo.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Kisara said:
Zane Zackerly said:
I forgot the "un-banning" will still probably be done in Vegas. I'd have to let other people be the guinea pigs first.
LOL! Ain't that the truth!
True, but for some reason I would still buy one if my local funshop got them in and hope for the best.

·
Registered
608 Posts
That thread on ARF.Com was removed. The OP of that thread apparently had gotten into some trouble for letting the cat out of the bag early. I started a new one but it had gotten locked. The price on the HALF-converted ARSENAL SAIGA rifle is around $700.00 The rifle's will be shipped with a coupon good for $260.00, that one can send their rifle in and have the rest of the conversion done to a FIXED stock, not a sidefolder as shown above I'm assuming, but not sure, that the $260.00 also covers a new finish. One would think that it would. Also from what I read, THE FIRING LINE was going to do the conversion work for ARSENAL.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
heartbreakridge01 said:
what is Aresenals reason behind not building any more 105 series rifles? or any rifle in 5,45? now that the ammo is cheap and plentiful you would think they would offer it again!
Seems like they discontinued every model they've introduced. Limited runs???

Or out of parts. I grabbed an ORF kit and a Tantal kit, but I'm still kicking myself for not putting an extra 105 on layaway when I had the chance.

Like many members on this forum, when I first saw three of the 105's on a rack at the funshow for well under $600 clams, I said; "This is too good to last, They've got it right on this one."

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Everyone seems to forget that when the SLR105s were being sold, 5.45 was nowhere to be found. Everyone was crying that they wanted 223 and 7.62...

I think the real culprit behind everything is that it takes a long time to put together a new Arsenal project. Its not just a matter fof picking up the phone with credit card. Production needs to be done, US parts installed, ATF approval for all, etc.

I dont think its a matter of parts, as there are still plenty of AK74s in Military storage that could be purchased and then used for parts.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone seems to forget that when the SLR105s were being sold, 5.45 was nowhere to be found. Everyone was crying that they wanted 223 and 7.62...

I think the real culprit behind everything is that it takes a long time to put together a new Arsenal project. Its not just a matter fof picking up the phone with credit card. Production needs to be done, US parts installed, ATF approval for all, etc.

I dont think its a matter of parts, as there are still plenty of AK74s in Military storage that could be purchased and then used for parts.
i never thought about the time it would take to put a project like that togther on Arsenal's side lol

you would think with the AK market the way it is, with plenty of cheap surplus 5,45 out there they would be running to start a run of 5,45 rifles just from a business stand point.

didnt the US goverment award Bulgaria a contract for AK rifles for the iraqi's due to them being cheaper than the russian version?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Picked up my SLR105 in 2006 during the 5.45 "ammo shortage" for $545.00-thought the price was quite "right". Nicest 5.45 I own-wish I'd picked up two.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Stottman said:

Stot;

I had no problem finding 5.45 when the original 105's were sold; not mil-spec 7N6, but Wolf 60 and 70 grain ammo were a phone call away or at my local shop. I had been shooting and selling Intrac MKII's and SAR2's for years, and found at least a few cases at every funshow or larger gunshop; probably because few were shooting it back then.
Not sure about which came first, ammo or the weapons to fire them (in abundance); but certainly no one could have foreseen 7N6 coming in. Made me happy when I first heard about it.

Your right about starting production; but why they ended it is still a
good question.

and: It is a matter of parts if they are unable to import them. The former DDR would be a good source but my understanding is they will not be released and or have been destroyed. I have seen ads in the UK for Dewat DDR 74's, but nothing like that in the states. It is my great hope, I think yours too, (as well as a forum dream), that DDR kits will somehow make it into the states in numbers. We may have to come up with barrels, but it is something to hope for. :razz:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts