AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come to a conclusion on the use of the AKM rear sight with whilte painted lettering or the red painted lettering? Was it time period/date oriented?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Well I am discussing that with some NVA vets right now. Appears the red is associated with milled MPi-K or very early MPi-KM. One guy I'm talking to says they originally (c1960) tried to "chrome" the lines and numbers on the sight leaf, but this didn't hold up so they went for the red laquer instead.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if this is an indicator, but the two 66 trunion/rear sight/ demill combos both had red sights. Wonder how much later they went, or did they make changes along with everything else in 72, or with the drop of the wood in 67.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Reichpapers said:
Not sure if this is an indicator, but the two 66 trunion/rear sight/ demill combos both had red sights. Wonder how much later they went, or did they make changes along with everything else in 72, or with the drop of the wood in 67.
This guy says from 67 on they were all white, previous to that there were some of both red and white on MPi-KM. With these vets you have to give room for faulty memories, but it's the only datapoint I have been able to dig up on Red vs White Sight Leafs.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
xcibes said:
My 1967 came with RED lettering and the sights are matching to the trunnion. My 1968 came with WHITE also matching to the trunnion.
Good data, thanks.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xcibes said:
My 1967 came with RED lettering and the sights are matching to the trunnion. My 1968 came with WHITE also matching to the trunnion.
Sweet, looks like they changed over with the buttstock and finish type change.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
zb-30 said:
The 67' I got came with white lettering
Yep, I have one of those pre-66 ones and it has white too. I think we have to allow for Hans and Franz changing them out at a later date.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts