AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was in Academy Sports in Knoxville, TN with my oldest brother looking around & killing some time. Sitting there in the floor was a short steel sealed drum of Federal/Lake City M855 ball. It contained 12,500 rounds for the low low price of $5,999.99(plus sales tax).

·
Registered
22,613 Posts
That....doesn't seem like all that great of a deal..

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
LGS had one of these and it did sell...but we were just coming out of the panic. All loose rounds in drum and weight for moving is tough without a hand truck.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Over 52 cents a round after tax, pass. You can buy new Prvi or PMC for 40 cents a round or less. Bulk pack is worth less imo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Even when things were still a little nuts in 2013, I was able to get 5.56 62 grain ammo at forty cents a round and .308 at 59 cents a round. Lake City is good ammo and chances are this would be the 62 grain ammo which runs a little higher but still doesn't seem worth the effort.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For that price you could reload a hell of a lot of 5.56. Honestly, I think deals that that are set up for middle-age white collar suburban commandos that watch Doomsday Preppers with more money then common sense.

You can pick up:
1,000 good quality projectiles for under $100
1,000 CCI #34 5.56 primers for under $40
7,000 grains of IMR 4895 powder for 25 grains per round for $25 per pound
1,000 pieces of 5.56 brass for under $100 (if you're paying for brass and not reloading what you pick up)
Grand total for 12,500 with full retail price is $4116.00

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
556 223 Military Once Fired Brass

.223 Remington Once Fired Brass from DKB

5.56 223 Once Fired Brass

Once Fired 5.56 Brass | Lake City | Top Brass Reloading Supplies

The first link is for 1,000 pieces of once fired military 5.56 brass for $99
The second link is mixed brass for $80 per thousand.
The third link is for mixed brass for $85 per thousand (quantity price 2 plus for discount).
The fourth link is Lake City once fired brass $99.98 per thousand.

Or if you can afford it.

http://www.hi-techammo.com/

Buy it 3000 pc at a time and its $78.33 before shipping.

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

Primers at $23.50 a K before shipping.

It use to be you could get USGI pull down bullets for about .07 ea, but I don't think we will ever see them that cheap again. But I am hoping we do. Down side is it would take a long time to do 10k of 556mm on a single stage press.

Old Sarge

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm very happy with my Dillon 550 and it makes very accurate ammo.
Hay Azakms
Just out of curiosity do you load straight through with the case still lubed? I have all ways wondered how that worked? If so how do you go about cleaning the lube off after loading. I load all my pistol stuff on my 550B and am looking at doing 308win and 223Rem soon. Here is the process that I am looking at right now.

1, de-prime on single stage press with a de-caping die.
2, size and trim to length using RT1200B.
3, swage the primer pockets using SS 600.
4, camphor and clean primer pockets using a Hornaday LNL case prep tool.
5, wash the cases off in water and dry.
6, tumble to polish and finish drying. (At this point if I was doing ammo that would be put back for a long time I would hand prim and seal the primers with a primer sealant. Ed and Roy's from Cabela's is what I have been using but I would guess that fingernail polish might work)
7, load them in the 550B with the first station setup using a de-caping die to make sure the flash hole is clear.
8, inspect and pack away.

What are your thoughts on it? Do you see anything that stands out as an issue with the process?

Thanks
Old Sarge

·
Registered
402 Posts
For that price you could reload a hell of a lot of 5.56. Honestly, I think deals that that are set up for middle-age white collar suburban commandos that watch Doomsday Preppers with more money then common sense.

You can pick up:
1,000 good quality projectiles for under $100
1,000 CCI #34 5.56 primers for under $40
7,000 grains of IMR 4895 powder for 25 grains per round for $25 per pound
1,000 pieces of 5.56 brass for under $100 (if you're paying for brass and not reloading what you pick up)
Grand total for 12,500 with full retail price is $4116.00
And how much time to prep assemble and pack?

·
Registered
203 Posts
just so you know a friend at academy said their cost on that is about 3400 bucks. he can get one for cost and i still passed it up. gonna wait it out and hopefully prices will bottom out.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I could see someone wanting that just to store for long term. Im assuming this is a sealed can, stright from lake city? Pretty rare to find IMO. I dont use that round though and I dont like the price much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts